QuickCam Pro 9000

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

QuickCam Pro 9000

Post by oliverjames »

I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. I see some negative comments about this device on the forum concerning compatability with Linux. Nonetheless it is automatically detected by Skype, where it works perfectly.

I'm curious to know how I can get it working outside of Skype, for example as a motion detection device.

Using Elyssa XFCE.

Best regards

Oliverjames
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: QuickCam Pro 9000

Post by Boo »

have you tried it with any other apps?
installing skype may have installed any dependencies needed to get the cam working.
if it is working in skype i cant see why it will not work with other apps.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

I tried:
cameramonitor
luvcview
gqcam
camstream,
with their associated dependencies. No joy with any. Plus Skype image was affected - colour balance wrong.

Uninstalled all pkgs and Skpye back to normal.

Oliverjames
SteveHoffmanUK

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

Oliver

I am a newcomer to Mint, previously with PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu.

I bought a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 to use with Skype on PCLinuxOS. It worked on my Acer Extensa laptop but not on my older desktop. With Mint I find it also doesn't work with Skype in my desktop Felicia - the Skype video test just shows some purplish squares on the screen. Of course it works fine in Windows XP and Vista.

However, in Mint it works OK with "test my webcam" sites on my desktop, such as:
http://www.testmycam.com/
http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html

So it looks like my Mint (but not yours!) has an issue with Skype.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work in Skype would be appreciated.

ON EDIT: Hmmm - I just tried it again on the Skype video test and it didn't work, but then I plugged it into a different USB port and suddenly it works OK. For further investigation . . . :roll:

ON EDIT and further investigation: It looks like it works OK but that's only in test mode. See later message.
Last edited by SteveHoffmanUK on Fri May 08, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Hi Steve,

I can't give you anymore info. I only use mine as Skype microphone and videocam for conferencing. Under Skype it works well but for the rest I haven't yet found a need.

Oliverjames.
SteveHoffmanUK

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

Oliver (and/or others):

I'm still trying to get Skype working on my desktop in Mint 6 with a QuickCam Pro 9000 webcam.

The camera works in Skype in:
PCLinuxOS on Acer Extensa laptop
Windows Vista on Acer Extensa laptop
Windows XP Home on my desktop

Note: it never worked on my desktop with PCLinuxOS either, so there seems to be some issue between Linux (any distro) and my desktop, which is a VIA Technologies KT600-8237,1.53 GHz AMD Athlon XP, 1.28Gb RAM; 80Gb HDD, Realtek AC97 Audio card, S3 Graphics Savage4.

On Skype
Audio settings:
Sound in: USB Device 0x46d:0x990 (hw:U0x46d0x990,0)
Sound out: VIA 8237 (hw:V8237,0)
Ringing: VIA 8237 (hw:V8237,0)

Video settings:
Select webcam: UVC Camera (046d:0990) (/dev/video0)
Checked boxes for: "Enable Skype video" and "Start my video automatically when I am in a call"

When I do a Skype test call and it records 20 seconds of audio, it works fine and plays back my voice.
When I click the Skype video test screen, my camera-on light comes on and my video image appears OK in the test screen area. So, everything seems OK, but when I connect to someone, it starts to show a screen and I can hear some sound, but the screen quickly (1-2 seconds) freezes and then the call is dropped.
Chat, however, works fine.

The camera also works on various "test my webcam" websites in Linux.

In summary, everything looks OK, but I can't keep a connection on Skype.

Any suggestions would be welcome. This is about the only thing that isn't working in my Mint 6, which has otherwise been a revelation - really good distro in my view.

Return to “Hardware Support”