Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Hutch

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 released!

Post by Hutch »

Ihave been usin Ubuntu 8.10 with a dual boot Mint 6 gnome until last week. Now running Mint 6 kde RC1 and looking forward to the stable release. 2 things.
1 will the stable kernal version still be 27.7 as ibex is 27.11 and
2 Will there be a usb creator?
Akanbe

Post by Akanbe »

Boo wrote:@ fixerofthings86
1. mint 6 KDE stable will come out in about a week.
Boo
What is the stable release going to be? Will it be RC2, a beta, or the regular release? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with how these things work :)
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

WOW! Great job done and hats off to the team! Can't wait for the stable release!

2 small points:

1. Firefox isn't looking its best. I may daresay openSUSE's KDE Firefox looks better...
2. As far as the artwork and the look is concerned -- this has more of KDE 4.2 influence rather than the home-grown "mint" look. Will this change in the stable release?

Once again, Thanks for the fantastic RC1!!
AfterEight

Post by AfterEight »

Can we have a heads up on when Mint 6 KDE 'stable' will be ready guys ?
No pressure Boo, none at all. :)
But I am almost down to my knuckles with anticipation . . . . :shock:

Worth the wait whatever the time period. :wink:
Cheers and keep up the good work.

AfterEight
deki999

Post by deki999 »

phoenixrising wrote:
1. Firefox isn't looking its best. I may daresay openSUSE's KDE Firefox looks better...
This is so, so, so true !
I tried to change it with some themes, but zero results.
Very irritating...very, very...

Also, when I use Terminal server client for remote desktop connection, my desktop go crazy.
Changing colors from blah, blah (totaly random) to black.
After connecting, everything is ok.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

I tried to run the live DVD on two pcs, one with nvidia 6100 and one with 7100. the 7100 video could not show any video and the 6100 show a very distorted screen where I couldn't get to the menu, to do any changes.

What is needed at boot up to get a clear screen?
cedric

Post by cedric »

one bug, something strange, that happens on two different computers.

When I want to launch Kate with sudo, I write this in Konsole : sudo kate

Then Kate is launching but in the konsole I have many errors that are listed :

Code: Select all

Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-cedric" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
Error: "/tmp/kde-cedric" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
Error: "/tmp/ksocket-cedric" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
As it happens with 2 different computers maybe there is something to fix.

And thanks again, kde is now definitely my favorite desktop !
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

I'm running mint kde rc1 now on Dell Inspiiron 530 desktop with an old Nvidia 5200 video card. I'm liking Mint kde rc1 a lot. It finally is stable enough and has enough of my favorite 3.5 features to enjoy playing with. A learning curve for sure, but fun.

I've found a few small problem areas - almost all of which went away when I would relogin or reboot in some cases, some by performing the same task by a different means. Everything works pretty flawlessly at this point.

A few that come to mind:

1. the auto notification that proprietary hardware is available that pops up when booting into the desktop gui initially would not load my driver. I had to go manually to envy where it installed the driver fine.
2. Amazon mp3 donwloader wouldn't load with kpackage but does with gdebi. (I know.......... it's not official since it's not in the repo - just thought I'd mention it.)
3. PCManFM opens to error box - "GTK+ icon theme is not properly set." Once you click the box off, though, it opens and runs fine. The error box instructs how to fix the error.

Great job CE team!
Steely

Post by Steely »

cedric

The proper method to launch any application with a gui from konsole is to use kdesudo and not sudo. I encountered errors the first time that I ran kdesudo but it appears to work as it should.
cedric

Post by cedric »

dmk62 wrote:cedric

The proper method to launch any application with a gui from konsole is to use kdesudo and not sudo. I encountered errors the first time that I ran kdesudo but it appears to work as it should.
thanks a lot ! I should have search before writing on the forum this time, KDE is still new for me ! Sorry for my last post.
deki999

Post by deki999 »

vinoman wrote:I tried to run the live DVD on two pcs, one with nvidia 6100 and one with 7100. the 7100 video could not show any video and the 6100 show a very distorted screen where I couldn't get to the menu, to do any changes.

What is needed at boot up to get a clear screen?
I have same problem with 7600.
Use safe graphic mode, or similar (cant remember now)...
(That is vesa graphic driver)
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

I have been using Lint Mint Gnome flavor ever since I downloaded it. Soon as RC1 of x64 hit I downloaded that I switched to it fully when it hit stable verison. My question is, when/if will KDE Mint be release in a x64 for us Crazy x64 people?

Either way alot of good work is done at this site and it is now the Linux Distro I tell all my friends about and MAKE them at least try to live CD or use the web on my Linux box.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have to realise we are a small team and to make yet another edition is hard
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

deki999 wrote:
phoenixrising wrote:
This is so, so, so true !
I tried to change it with some themes, but zero results.
Very irritating...very, very...
Well, this theme here http://ramonantonio.net/kde-firefox/ worked for me... :D :)
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

I tested OpenSuSE KDE x64 while I waited for KDE Mint to be in stable version. I have to say Mint has spoiled me in the last few months on having all the codec installed and working by default. OpenSuSe when Totem tried to auto find codecs tried to send me to a site to PAY for codecs!

I will stick with either Mint KDE or Gnomex64 please keep up the good work!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Two weeks testing, more if needed, and then the final be made
I know this is late but the KDE4 "experiment" takes it's tolls
Husse

Post by Husse »

No no "fiddling" I think but of course we are curious and the lessons from KDE 4 are very mixed as you can see in this topic
Husse

Post by Husse »

Nathan P wrote:Just a heads up, the default Firefox spell checker is British English. Not sure how to change it.
It follows the locale you installed with at first, but you can download more languages for the FF spellchecker - it's a FF thing
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Nathan P wrote:Oddly enough, if I highlight something in the page without copying it and do it, it tries to go to that location. For example, if I type "google" and highlight it, then click the top corner, it will go to google. Very strange.
Believe it or not, this is a feature, the corner of the touchpad is acting like a middle-click, which I've just discovered works on mine too (used it for 2 yrs, never found that, but I prefer a mouse). The middle-click in linux is used for pasting whatever you just highlighted with the mouse (massive timesaver for cross-application data sharing) and in this case, FF is set up to try to find a web address on paste, then searching with google if none found (another massive timesaver: highlight an un-linked web address with left click, then middle click!) Unfortunately, I have no idea how to disable it.
mararual

Post by mararual »

Hey Nathan,

I used this command to disable touchpad while typing.

Code: Select all

syndaemon -d -t -i 2
It will disable your touchpad while you type and 2 more seconds after your last key press. Pretty useful.

Add it to you Session, by going to Menu -> Preferences -> Sessions, and create a new command for it. Call it disable touchpad or something like that.

Cheers

Return to “Releases & Announcements”