Getting on line with Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clive510

Getting on line with Mint

Post by clive510 »

I have noticed that 99% of people that use any Linux can get on line.
Which begs the question why can't I.
I was on line but had to change the ISP as it is due to close down.

I went over to T-Mobile web 'n' walk it uses the mobile phone network.
It has a wireless network connection called Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.
Also uses a GlobeTrotter GI4xx mass storage network interface.
The actual device I'm using is a "dongle" ie it just plugs right into a usb and it is NOT 3G

So anyone out there get me online please, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one on this planet that uses T-Mobile web 'n' walk.

I currently use ubuntu 8.10 and had no problems using it and it was all straight forward, and a happy bunny was I, till now.
I'm willing to move over to Mint as it's based on what I'm already using.

Could the answer, to this quest be in layman's terms please.

Clive :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Getting on line with Mint

Post by Husse »

Does this help?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=23472
It seems that your dongle appears as a mass storage device which was a problem in the past
You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (To copy from a terminal right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Also tell us if this is using mint4win or not, quite important
miket

Post by miket »

clive510,

If you can give us the info Husse has asked for I'm sure one of us will be able to get you online.

Mike.
clive510

Post by clive510 »

The Mint copy I have is taken from the latest copy of the Linux Magazine April 2009 Issue 101.
Mint 6 Felicia is based on Ubuntu 8.10 and come with Linux Kernel 2.6.27, Gnome 2.24 and Xorg 7.4

mint@mint ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82946GZ/PL/GL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82946GZ/PL/GL PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series] (Secondary)
02:03.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
mint@mint ~ $
clive510

Post by clive510 »

Also tell us if this is using mint4win or not, quite important

mint4win - A Windows installer for Linux Mint

If you run Microsoft Windows, insert the liveCD and a program called mint4win will launch automatically. This program is an installer for Linux Mint which runs on Windows. It installs Linux Mint within a file on one your partitions and it doesn't touch your existing partitions. It also sets up a Windows multiboot for you.

Yes, I'm trying before installing - Clive
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't see the WiFi Link 5100 AGN in lspci -is that a USB thingy?
Run lsusb and see if you find it
As far as I know the WiFi Link 5100 AGN is supported by the 2.6.27 and above kernels
Your other hardware is pretty standard slightly old Intel, should not cause any problems
Open Hardware Drivers (in the Menu) and see if there is a driver for it - you might have to be connected with ethernet if you need to download something
clive510

Post by clive510 »

Here's what I got from lsusb;

mint@mint ~ $ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0af0:7501 Option
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 054c:01bd Sony Corp. MRW62E Multi-Card Reader/Writer
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 15ca:00c3 Textech International Ltd. Mini Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
mint@mint ~ $

My last isp I did use a ethernet and had no trouble with ubuntu 8.10 and managed to work out the few problems I had with it.
But, since using my new isp with T-Mobile web 'n' walk Mobile Broadband usb stick 530, I've gained a headache :(

Clive
Husse

Post by Husse »

It is not using the Intel wif you mention - that's for wifi and not present as far as I can see
This
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0af0:7501 Option
is the thing
How do I know? 0af0:7501 tells a lot and those IDs are often the best way to find a solution
Still no solution but I think we can get a bit along the road
These devices are often wrongly recognised as a CD-ROM device
Boot the laptop with the dongle not connected and when booting is complete plug it in
Then run dmesg | tail
I would not be surprised if you find CD-ROM ZCOption HSUPA Modem in dmesg | tail
In that case this link is for you
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/
There is a bit to read through but if you find your device there (and I thought I saw it) and can't figure out what to do on your own post back (also please post back in case of success)
clive510

Post by clive510 »

You're right, the "CD-ROM ZCOption HSUPA Modem" is here.

mint@mint ~ $ dmesg | tail
[ 911.424284] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[ 912.391289] hso: /build/buildd/linux-2.6.27/drivers/net/usb/hso.c: 1.2 Option Wireless
[ 912.391362] usbcore: registered new interface driver hso
[ 916.424535] usb-storage: device scan complete
[ 916.425503] scsi 5:0:0:0: CD-ROM ZCOption HSUPA Modem PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 916.428612] sr1: scsi-1 drive
[ 916.430736] sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
[ 916.431150] sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 5
[ 917.108487] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
[ 917.109363] ISOFS: changing to secondary root
mint@mint ~ $

I've printed the information off from the web site you give, but sorry, it's as clear as mud to me.
So can't figure out what to do on my own, although I do like trying to solve things, but I think this one is above my head.
Any chance of an "idiot sheet"?

Thanks for getting me thus far, although it is a bit dizzy for me, I do find it very interesting.

Clive
Husse

Post by Husse »

Clear as mud :)
Yes it's a bit muddy - the guy is clearly to deep into his things to write for people that are not
I hope it can be stripped down to two steps
Download
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... 1_i386.deb
It's a deb so just double clicking should do it
Then
Edit "/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf" according to your hardware (it's heavily commented and should tell you what to do).
This means that after the install this file appears and it has lines for all hardware that can use the modeswitch in it
You have to find* the line for your gadget and uncomment it - at least that's how I understand it
*Use the search (Ctrl+F)
You also need to be root

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
You probably have to reboot so the switch is loaded
clive510

Post by clive510 »

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... 1_i386.deb

Can't open it.

Tried http://www.draisberghof.de - English poetry, a bit off subject.

Clive
perezomail

Re: Getting on line with Mint netops should be portable

Post by perezomail »

this issue has been solved look at my other posts
I mis mint but im online hope to comeback when mint has by wifi card enabled
Last edited by perezomail on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

clive510 wrote:http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... 1_i386.deb
Did you copy and paste the link? The ... is because the link is too long to be displayed, so if you c+p'd you didn't get the link. Just click the link in Husse's post and you should get a download box.

@perezomail: Best to create your own thread.
clive510

Post by clive510 »

Did you copy and paste the link?
Yes I did, and even broke the link down trying to get to it, hence the English poetry.
And as it can't be opened I can't move to the next instruction.

Then

Edit "/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf" according to your hardware (it's heavily commented and should tell you what to do).

Another day and it will be one month trying to get on line with help through different forums.
Is it really that difficult to get on line?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I just left clicked the link and found a .deb to download
If I right click and select Copy link location I find this link
Outside the Quote field the link looks strange and if you just mark the link with the mouse and copy - well then it is failure
I think I have to go through the settings for the forum and see if this behaviour can be changed
Husse

Post by Husse »

Boo has just added USB modeswitch to the Mint repositories
You can install it from Synaptic - I hope you can find out how to use it :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”