windows movie maker question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyed

windows movie maker question

Post by mintyed »

is there a movie maker application that can read play and edit Windows Movie Maker (WMM) files.

As kdenlive is very similar in look and feel I wonder if there is an ADD-ON to convert, edit and run WMM files (like OpenOffice does a good Job converting and reading MS Office files). this would be great for Linux users of all shapes and sizes, especially us newbies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintyed

Re: windows movie maker question

Post by mintyed »

Ripose wrote:You could start with VLC, below is part of the Synaptic Description.
VLC is the VideoLAN project's media player. It plays MPEG, MPEG2, MPEG4,
DivX, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, mp3, Ogg/Vorbis files, DVDs, VCDs, and multimedia
streams from various network sources.
You not get what i mean. I need an app like windows movie maker to make and convert there files so i can use and edit them. i know that any video player can play them usually.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

Have you looked into Avidemux, Cinelerra, or Kino? Or have you considered seeing if you could run WMM in Linux under WINE?
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Winff is a nice GUI front-end for ffmpeg. It should be able to convert your movie maker file to avi or dv format so that you can edit them in Linux.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

Thanks all. I will let you know how i get on.

Return to “Beginner Questions”