[SOLVED] Level 3 Gstreamer update = no more sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Katzedecimal

[SOLVED] Level 3 Gstreamer update = no more sound

Post by Katzedecimal »

Mint 5 Elyssa, in use since summer '08, sound was working quite acceptably until a recent Level 3 Gstreamer update.. then poof, no sound at all. Nothing. No media sound, no web sound, no system sounds, just the quiet hiss of empty speakers. I've tried everything I can think of - disable PulseAudio (I usually run with it disabled and run on Alsa, because Pulse locks up my system), enable PulseAudio, set all to Alsa, set all to Automatic, set all to PulseAudio, putz with Gnome-Alsa-Mixer settings, putz with Volume (yes it's up, as is PCM), rebooted several times. Nothing - no sound. The Level 3 updates in question were March 16 2009, Gstreamer0.10-plugins-good and Gstreamer0.10-esd, both 0.10.7-3ubuntu0.2. Any suggestions for how I can get my sound back?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Level 3 Gstreamer update = no more sound

Post by exploder »

Use Synaptic to reverse the update. Just select the gstreamer package, go to "Package", scroll down to "Force Version" and force the previous version to install.
Katzedecimal

Re: [SOLVED] Level 3 Gstreamer update = no more sound

Post by Katzedecimal »

*flyingtacklehugs Exploder*

Exploder, you are a guru! Yes indeed, that worked perfectly -- downgrading to the older versions restored my sound :mrgreen: I think the initial updates must not have installed correctly the first time. After making sure everything was okay again and me able to reverse it again, I judiciously reinstalled the updates and my sound was okay. So now all is updated, sound is good, and I have learned an Important New Thing :lol:

And this, children, is why I like Linux Mint so much better than Windows -- when an update buggers something up, you can fix it! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you, exploder! *hug*

Return to “Sound”