there needs to be a console mode install option!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aging Technogeek

Re: there needs to be a console mode install option!

Post by Aging Technogeek »

miker001z:
Download and burn to disk (or otherwise acquire) a copy of the latest version of Gparted. With this tool, you can set up your partitions before you run the install disk so the swap partition is there waiting.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I could be wrong, but I believe the Universal edition is based off ubuntu's alternate disk (it has all the languages, and requires less ram). In which case it'll also have the text-mode installer.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I don't know about the Ubuntu alternate edition, but I can tell you that the Mint 6 main edition .iso file occupies about 700 Megabytes on a CD and the Universal edition uses about 1.2 Gigabytes on a DVD. This may not reflect the amount of ram needed to run the two editions but it is something to consider.

If you want a lighter edition of Mint, try the XFCE Community Edition or the Fluxbox CE. Either one is a good choice for older systems with less ram. I use the XFCE edition and really like it but I have not tried the Fluxbox CE yet so I can't give a comparison.

On the subject of installation, I am a firm believer in manual partitioning. It is not difficult and you get exactly the installation you want. Automatic installers and partitioners are not very smart. They normally use all the space available on the HDD. This can result in an OS that boots and runs slower than it could when properly installed. Plus, by using the Gparted live CD, you can set up a swap partition before you run the Mint CD. As you already found out, this can help a great deal when your system is short on ram.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I too use the xfce edition, and recommend it for anyone who's got bored of gnome, but doesn't want kde. However I know for a fact that it doesn't have the text-mode installer. I suspect the main reason for the universal edition being so huge is its massively greater language support, and generally because it's designed to run on more hardware it'll include more drivers on the disk. None of this will affect your install, as it should just install the bits it actually needs.

Return to “Installation & Boot”