permission to install .bin pakage

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: permission to install .bin pakage

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi djmeo, you can install the latest (sun) jre (6-13) from the package "sun-java6-jre" in the synaptic package manager, no need to download from their website. It's in the "Community" repository, which you can enable from synaptic at Settings --> Repositories, select the check-box next to both lines with "Community" in the "Section" column (yes, there should be an easier way to do this). The community repo is where packages get uploaded by those who want something that hasn't made it into ubuntu yet, in this case, the latest version of sun's jre, uploaded by merlwiz79 (he creates the XFCE CE among other things)

Oh, and regarding your permissions problem, even with root: This basically means that the partition ("drive" in windows) you're trying to install off (presumably not the same partition as your main install) has been mounted with a "noexec" option, which disables scripts entirely. You'd need to identify which partition it is, then edit the corresponding line in /etc/fstab to ensure the exec option.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
David Valentine

Re: permission to install .bin pakage

Post by David Valentine »

What's in the community repo appears to be only the i386 version of sun-java6-bin. I am using the AMD64 version of Felicia, and now sun-java6 wants to uninstall itself during updates. Will the 64-bit version be made available in the repo sometime soon? Otherwise, I basically have to disable the community repo in order to keep the 6-10 version from ubuntu working.

Return to “Beginner Questions”