PowerSaver Hibernate Issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK Dave

Re: PowerSaver Hibernate Issue

Post by AK Dave »

Might be nice to know something about your hardware.

Code: Select all

lspci -vnn
Might also be nice to know what exactly hangs when you try to hibernate. For example, select to hibernate manually. Often this is an option from the shutdown menu. Maybe you hibernate fine, but don't restore. This is often an X problem related to your video hardware and/or driver/module that supports it. I have a laptop that won't suspend or hibernate except with the fglrx module.

Might be nice to know something about your ram and swapfile. You need to have a swapfile bigger than your ram to hibernate.

See, I can guess but you need to provide some data.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

What about lspci? Is that command broken, or are you unable to open a terminal window?

The suspicion is that SOMETHING appears to be hanging. But we don't know what. Maybe we can figure that out. But I really have no clue about the specifics of your computer unless you provide that information.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Scroll back. Remember when I asked you to do this command?

lspci -vnn
Just cut-paste the output to this thread.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Here's your problem:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RS300M AGP [Radeon Mobility 9100IGP] [1002:5835]
Kernel modules: radeonfb

google: radeon mobility ubuntu hibernate
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/152991

You'll find lots of hits. You'll find it is a common problem associated with the radeon open source kernel module and the Radeon Mobility 9x00 series hardware. You will find that if you can identify your problem (you did!) and you can identify your hardware (you did!) that very often google will find you the answer.

This problem was known and reported with Hardy, but it hasn't been tracked since for lack of current reports with current kernels. It was assigned to the ubuntu-kernel-acpi team.

This problem is not reported with fglrx. You might switch to it.
This problem is not reported with the closed source ATI driver, so you may attempt installing that through Envy.
This problem is not reported with Jaunty, near as I can tell, so you might try the Jaunty Beta and see if this is fixed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Could boot to a command line instead of gnome.

Then:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
That forces your xorg.conf to be rewritten from scratch as if you had a fresh install.

But before you try that, you should at least try to restore your old xorg.conf from backup. There should be a backup of xorg.conf just waiting to be renamed. Then reboot, and you're good.

Return to “Software & Applications”