Partitioning two HD's

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Partitioning two HD's

Post by emorrp1 »

you'll want to leave them all on the same drive, you probably don't need more than a couple of hundred MB swap. /home contains any and all user-level customisations (any you wouldn't need to type your password to change) as well as all your data, see also: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... rtitioning
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

I would say:
HD1
/root = 10gb
/swap = 4gb
/home = the rest of the 250gb disk

HD2
/home/backup = 170gb *
/home/vista = 80gb *

* : these are mount points that you setup during the install.

atlef.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

To be honest, depending on what you're going to be doing with your OS, a 10gb / partition may be ok. But if you will be adding a lot of stuff to expand your OS, you may want something a little higher than that. I have my / partition set at 20gb, which leave a lot of room for my OS to grow should I desire to.

An 8gb swap is actually very high, considering you have 8gb of ram installed in your system. Mine is set at 256mb, and I have 4gb of ram installed in my system. Runs fine.

But you definitely want to have a separate /home partition should anything happen to your / partition and you won't lose anything.

atlef did a good layout for you to go by, but remember the majority of partition setups are personal preference, minus the swap and / partitions. You don't want too much, but you also don't want too little.

This is how I have my hard drive partitioned to give you something to go by, but this is not a be all end all solution for you, mileage and use may vary:

I have a 320gb drive in my laptop by the way.

Swap = 256MB (I have 4GB of RAM installed in my system)

/Boot = 256MB - formatted to ext2

Everything else is formatted to ext3

/ (root) = 20GB which should give me more than enough space for my OS to grow

/home = 25GB

/home/Pictures = 25GB

/home/Documents = 25GB

/home/Downloads = 25GB

/home/Music = 150GB ( I have a lot of music!)

/home/Videos = 25GB

Then whatever I have left over, I can put to use at a later time.

I copied this from another thread I posted in, so it looks exactly as I wrote it there.

Hope this helps you on your quest for the perfect partitioning scheme.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

dlkreations wrote:To be honest, depending on what you're going to be doing with your OS, a 10gb / partition may be ok. But if you will be adding a lot of stuff to expand your OS, you may want something a little higher than that. I have my / partition set at 20gb, which leave a lot of room for my OS to grow should I desire to.
I don't compile a lot, and when I do it is cookie-cutter so I don't save the logs. I've yet to fill a 10gb partition, except for a brief period when Ubuntu Hardy was doing freaky things.

I had Intrepid installed with kubuntu-desktop and xfce-desktop on top, same partition, plus a dumptruck load of other stuff. Came close to 8gb. My typical installs are <4gb base, and well under 6gb fully loaded. So a 10-12gb partition for /boot / /home is, in my book, ample. Of course, this is with a seperate data partition and typically with symlinks of all the major directories in /home.
An 8gb swap is actually very high, considering you have 8gb of ram installed in your system.
Ridiculously high. An 8gb swap would be needed if you wanted to do hibernate and all 8gb of ram was full. But hibernate would be glacially slow to enter and leave because the entire state of the 8gb ram would need to be frozen and cached to swap and then thawed later.

Seriously, 8gb ram? If you're even touching the swap you're probably doing it wrong.
But you definitely want to have a separate /home partition should anything happen to your / partition and you won't lose anything.
I'm happy without a seperate /home simply because I don't store anything in /home except for .config and .pref files/folders.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

So then I can say that my /home partition would be rather large, but then again I use a lot of brushes for GIMP and on the occasion I run Photoshop and other Windows apps in Wine. I tend to have a ton of brushes and other presets for Photoshop there too.

But to each his own I say. No one is going to get a "perfect" answer when it comes to partitioning, and I am far from being a Linux guru in any sense.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

dlkreations wrote:But to each his own I say. No one is going to get a "perfect" answer when it comes to partitioning, and I am far from being a Linux guru in any sense.
Absolutely! What I do works for me, but may not work for you. And versa-vica.

Return to “Installation & Boot”