encrypt usb drive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

encrypt usb drive

Post by donlinux »

I am looking for an easy way to encrypt a usb drive for use on two different linux computers. The main computer is my Mint Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook and the secondary is my Dell mini 9 netbook. I've tried using Truecrypt which encrypts nicely, but the "traveler" part of the software which allows my netbook to read the encrypted usb doesn't work with linux. I don't want to load Truecrypt onto my netbook because, well, it's a netbook and only has an 8gb hd.
I need to have the drive encrypted as there's sensitive information that I don't want seen.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: encrypt usb drive

Post by grimdestripador »

truecrypt is what you want. It is less than a meg.
Use encrypted partitions, I don't know what you mean with traveler. Just devote some free space and encrypt it.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

That's what I did and it's working fine. Thanks.

The "traveler" part of truecrypt only works with Windows. you can leave space on the usb drive and install a traveler from truecrypt that will allow the thumbdrive to be opened on any computer, with the proper password of course.

Thanks,
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

donlinux wrote:opened on any computer
On a windows computer with autorun enabled and some administrative privileges. I wonder if you compile truecrypt youself on LinuxMint, can't one just run the execuitable without installing. Hmm. I could imagine a commandline loopback translator for encrypted files.

Return to “Software & Applications”