Boot up Manager doesn't start up "solved"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spider

Boot up Manager doesn't start up "solved"

Post by spider »

Boot up Manager doesn't start up
hi. I downloaded Boot-manager and install it and when I click on the app to start it up.... it did nothing! "meaning it did not start up at all" the website I got it from is http://www.linuxmint.com/software/?s...1114&release=4

This is my specs is:

Linux mint Felicia release 6
Kernel: 2.6.27-7 generic
Gnome:2.24.1

Hardware: memory 2gb
cpu: pentium 4 3gb
Nvidia 6200 AGP

Thanks again!
spider
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Boot up Manager doesn't start up

Post by slider »

Hi spider

Please see the attached screenshot and check this Ubuntu forum thread and follow it from here > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82783&page=2

This conversation starts towards the bottom of the page........
spider

Post by spider »

What's up slider , :D

I got it working ... I just type sudo bum

Thanks for the link... that was fast I thought this program was going to drive me nuts!

one more question... I believe this is almost the same as Msconfig in windows... can I just disable them all so the program won't start up... this way the system starts faster. "not talking about the services" Just the start-up. Meaning, the picture you see... can I just disable them all like the start-up tab in MSconfig :?:

Thanks again!
spider :)
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi spider

Yes I believe the two programs are similar (although I have never used Bum) but as in all systems certain programs do need to start at boot. My best recommendation would be to research any program that you want to disable before actually doing so and try to find out the system priority of that program. Im not fully aware of the choice of programs that Bum gives a user to disable so that is why I urge you to use caution. A program say like "cups" which is for unix printing and may not need to be running at start.

Please remember that Linux unlike M$ is normally a lean mean machine that will run on minimal resources and usually boot faster than a M$ system, with a great deal more reliablity as well. In KDE (I dont know about Gnome) we have System Services at KDE Control Center that allows pretty much the same control as Bum already installed out of the box.

In answer to your question "Can you just disable them all?" ........ No thats not something I would recommend doing.

Check out each app first and find out what it does and how it affects the system, then make your decision.
spider

Re: Boot up Manager doesn't start up "solved"

Post by spider »

HI slider, I thought about that a little while ago since it really isn't M$ and your right.... plus I can't treat this like M$ Msconfig start-up tab.

There could be some programs in that start-up tab that the system needs.

My goal is to understand each program before I disable it and become a real pro at Linux :D

That pic that you have.. is that Linux OS 2007 .. because I believe it is. anyhow I did find the services in my control center.

Thanks again!
spider :D

Return to “Software & Applications”