Login problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Login problem

Post by remoulder »

I'm running Mint 6 RC1 fully updated to 4.2.1 via ppa repo and latest kernel via backports repo, and after some recent updates, I'm now unable to login to my user account through the gui login screen. When I hit enter after putting in my password, the screen goes black briefly, then goes back to the login screen. If I log in through the console and startx, then KDE starts and runs OK though without sound. This doesn't seem to be a user problem as I am unable to login with any user account. Google hasn't helped so anyone got any suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting this? Thanks Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Login problem

Post by remoulder »

For anyone interested, I have solved this by installing gdm and completely un-installing kdm. This allowed me to login again though looked a bit strange getting a gnome login screen after the KDE splash. Once logged in again, I re-installed kdm and made sure it worked again, then un-installed gdm. Hopefully it will stay this way.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Niko, did you 'completely uninstall' kdm in synaptic or just remove it? If the latter, there may still be config files left on your system. Also try deleting the hidden config files relating to kde in your home directory, there are a few of them, some in other folders.

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

First I want to give credit to mikeyb for finding the answer to the kdm problem. The post I am making here is built off of his answer to the problem that by reinstalling kdm a user can fix their login. I use LM-5 Elyssa KDE CE and I have not had any of these problems, but in an effort to try and be of some help here I wanted to post this as a possible answer to users questions like prion's or anyone else that may need help with this in the future, only slightly modifying things to make it easier (hopefully) for newer users that are use to GUI. Being that I do not have Felicia installed on a HDD puts me at some small handicap for as to what those of you who do have it installed see, especially at the recovery menu. I had no way to see the Felicia version of that, so hopefully its the same as Elyssa.

To uninstall and reinstall a program like KDM you can try this.

To use this you will need a root password enabled so that you can login at a root shell menu prompt.

I do not have LM-6 installed but I did test this with the LM-6 Felicia live dvd. I tried writing and doing this using the default apps only that most of you would see when using the live dvd. This should apply to the cd as well, I hope, if you are using gnome.

1. Boot with the live dvd or cd that you installed with, and connect to the web.

2. Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

sudo dolphin /var/cache/apt/archives

3. Next click on "split" in the dolphin menu. (which will divide the screen into two)

4. Over to the left look for your HDD media icon and click on it to mount it. Now one part of dolphin is your HDD and the other is is the apt archives of the live dvd.

5. In a terminal run:

sudo apt-get remove kdm

6. When the system asks you "whether or not to stop the kdm daemon" make sure to tell it no. It must keep running or your session will end real quick.

7. In a terminal run:

sudo apt-get install kdm
You will see the package appear in dolphin. The system will ask you a few questions but dont worry about them as this is a live dvd or cd. Only question to watch for is when it asks you about stopping the "kdm daemon". Remember we are mainly after the kdm package.

8. Now look back at the dolphin root window. Here you want to navigate on your HDD side to /var/cache/apt/archives as well. (notice that by clicking in a certain side of the window, it brings that side into the focus of the system)

9. Now you can drag and drop the "kdm" .deb package from the live dvd side of the window into your HDD side then click on move.

*Note You can install gdm this way as well but there are more packages downloaded with it that must be moved. By using kdm this will save you an extra step later on.

10. Now you can right click Your HDD icon and choose "unmount volume".

11. Close everything and shutdown the live system.

12. Boot up your system and when the menu comes up choose "recovery mode".

13. Once you are at the recovery menu scroll and choose "drop to a root shell prompt". This is where you will need a root password. Type in your root password and press enter.

14. Type:

apt-get remove kdm
(you may want to do this twice before the next step)

15. Next type:

apt-get install kdm
(you can do this a second time to make sure that it did install ok as well)

16. Finally type: exit and press enter, then you will be returned to the previous page where you can continue into a normal bootup.

By installing the kdm package in the root apt archives, this should in theory guarantee that once you remove the old kdm, the new kdm will be found and installed correctly by apt. This should also prevent the need to install gdm to boot with and then later have to uninstall once the user is booted into their system normally.

**For newer users- Please be careful while in any areas of your system with root powers, and never login or use root accounts any longer than neccessary to fix a problem. Using root as a user puts your system at great risks.

If a user felt it necessary they could install gdm packages and then later change things around with their package manager once they bootup and login to their system.

Ok y'all let me know if this works for ya! I hope so. If not I can modify or edit this post accordingly.... :roll:

tvgc

Return to “Software & Applications”