TOSHIBA Laptop overheating - Hardware failure - (SOLVED)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spider

Re: TOSHIBA Laptop overheating

Post by spider »

install "computertemp" from your package manager

get back and let us know!
spider :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spider

Post by spider »

hi, you may need to change your Heat-sink and fan but, it's hard to say.
check to make sure your fan is working.

in the mean time.. here
http://www.mytechopinion.com/2008/10/so ... oesnt.html

The Link I gave you is good for summer so if things do start heating up, your Laptop will be ok or should be.

this link will help your Laptop from over heating on you or die on you... which ever comes first!

serial Number and Model number would be nice to this way I can get more information about your Laptop.
possibilities of a faulty motherboard, bad memory, bad exhaust for the laptop, or bad heat-sink and battery

Let me know and me or someone else will take the next step to do the Job.

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

1. I would double check to make sure the fan is running and that the cooling vanes/fins are free of dust. Every once in a while I open up my laptop and clean it out... and I see an immediate drop in temperatures... sometimes by more than 10 degrees C.

2. I would throttle (under clock) processor frequencies until the problem gets fixed. This will help keep temps down and avoid frying your hardware. My CPU frequency can be controlled with the tools in the package 'cpufrequtils'. There may be something similar for your Nvidia card. Google it.

3. Try disabling the NVidia non-free driver and using the open source one. Does this prevent the over heating? Does it overheat in Windows?
spider

Post by spider »

while your doing checking the heat-sink and fan... see if you have a friend that has a laptop and borrow his battery.... and put that in your laptop instead.

most battery for laptop should work but still check to see what type you have inside your laptop and hope you you have the same one as your friend. This way you don't have to spend money for nothing before buying.

Return to “Hardware Support”