Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox Community Edition. Linux Mint Fluxbox Community Edition is based on Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid, Linux 2.6.27, Fluxbox 1.0.0 and Xorg 7.4. Included is an all-new menu system, Mint-FM2, Slim as a display manager, Live CD features that should make it easier to install on low-end machines, a brand new “Software Manager”, FTP support in mintUpload, proxy support and history of updates in mintUpdate, mint4win (a Linux Mint installer for Microsoft Windows), and much more minty goodness [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=724

Clem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox released!

Post by exploder »

Congratulations on a job well done, Shane!
qfunk

Post by qfunk »

I just downloaded it today... Am very new to Linux, going to install it for the first time tomorrow... does this mean I should download an older version of the OS?? Or I can install this version too eh?? I'm not very sure... please can someone provide help??
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

qfunk wrote:I just downloaded it today... Am very new to Linux, going to install it for the first time tomorrow... does this mean I should download an older version of the OS?? Or I can install this version too eh?? I'm not very sure... please can someone provide help??
Download, check the md5sum, burn at slow speed... and install! nothing else is required.

Thanks Exploder! You played no small part in this release too :D
mintph

Post by mintph »

Hi,

Thank you for the great work. I am currently writing this using the LiveCD of Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox CE.

By the way, is there any difference in speed and functionality between this and the Linux Mint 6 XFCE CE which is currently installed on my system?

Not sure if I should remove my XFCE and install this one instead.

Your thoughts are most welcome.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

mintph wrote:Hi,

Thank you for the great work. I am currently writing this using the LiveCD of Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox CE.

By the way, is there any difference in speed and functionality between this and the Linux Mint 6 XFCE CE which is currently installed on my system?

Not sure if I should remove my XFCE and install this one instead.

Your thoughts are most welcome.
this edition shares a lot with the XFCE edition. You can try this instructions in this thread... In step 3 don't install the meta package, just install the bare minimum packages... Don't install slim. Logout and choose Mint Fluxbox session (not standard fluxbox) from the login screen.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

mfarouk30 wrote:hello,
congratulation on the new release.

i had a problem when i tried to install the system using mint4win tool. all thing seem good until the second phase of installation. i don't know what is the problem.

please help.

thanks anyway.
This section is meant for announcements... Please start a new thread in the Fluxbox CE section of the forum. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=142

Also please give more information as to what it going wrong... some info about your hardware. We can't help without knowing what the problem is.
schpunty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by schpunty »

Excellent Job!
How can I install on a usb flash drive?
Thank you.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

schpunty wrote:Excellent Job!
How can I install on a usb flash drive?
Thank you.
Use Unetbootin.
Coaihim

Post by Coaihim »

I just want to thank you for this awesome distribution. It's so simple, yet so effective.

I'm running the Mint Fluxbox CE on my eee pc 900 and it runs faster than Mint Gnome on my big pc.

Only thing is that Wine doesn't add menu items to the menu and that I don't know how to add them to the custom-menu-items file but I will find out.

Thanks again! I appreciate it more than I can say!
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Coaihim wrote:I just want to thank you for this awesome distribution. It's so simple, yet so effective.

I'm running the Mint Fluxbox CE on my eee pc 900 and it runs faster than Mint Gnome on my big pc.

Only thing is that Wine doesn't add menu items to the menu and that I don't know how to add them to the custom-menu-items file but I will find out.

Thanks again! I appreciate it more than I can say!
The menu only monitors the /usr/share/applications/ folder for newly installed applications. Wine applications install into the user's home directory with the .desktop files placed in the user's ~/Desktop folder. So they are not detected or added to the menu. To do this see the wiki here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... g_the_menu
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi Shane,
How do you do? Hope very good.

Rodolfo (my brother) runs Mint XFCE CE e Fluxbox CE 6 Felicia - Pentium 3 - 900mgz
256MG RAM (now)

Shane your work on Fluxbox CE is wonderful! Great Job man.

I could run it to confirm everything it is marvelous. It's so marvelous that i am
so inclined to install it into my WinVista. Sure i will do.( mint4win) .

Just one observation: missing languages packages (2) for Brazilian Portuguese support.
They were translated - links. Pay attention for next version of the Linux Mint 7 Gloria
(Please, Please, ok?) I said Please. Pleased...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=13103

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=16584

Mint Quit Dialog (Fluxbox CE) and mintDesktop (XFCE)

Again, Great Job Shane
Congratulations!

Cheers
Roberto
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

I have said it before (post above) i would install it within the Windows Vista - Done
What a good sensation i am feeling now. Running Mint fluxbox CE 6 from within
the Windows Vista now. It seems mPlayer is not working properly. I think it
needs some manual adjustment. - mint4win is Great. It works nicely.
Installation - menu for win and fluxbox and all system updated.

Congrats again Shane

Cheers
Roberto :wink:
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Thanks Roberto for pointing this out... I will fix this as soon as I figure out how... :D
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Hi flameproof!

Your feedback is much appreciated. I, myself, do not use many things that are included in the distro. But we have to cater for as large a user base as possible... both newbies and veterans alike. The reason I included all those packages by default is if a newbie uses this edition, as much as possible should work out of the box for him. And if not, then at least the tools should be available to get everything working. It is better I think to have things work out of the box which you can then turn off if you don't need them... rather than having to search for and follow guides to get things to work. The number one reason people use Mint is because it 'just works' with minimal work.

On the other hand, we have also included tools to turn off the things you don't need. Of course~/.fluxbox/startup is the easiest thing to edit... but there is also sysv-rc-conf installed by default. This gives you ultimate control over the services that run on your machine. And it is easy to use. We try to reach an ideal compromise and I hope we are close to that for most users.

About desktop effects: The primary reason I included this is because I believe looking good is a feature. A polished interface enhances user experience and I think just because one uses a lightweight desktop doesn't mean it has to look like a system from the 90s. The desktop effects are handled by xcompmgr which is a very lightweight compositing manager. Even then, a system check is run and it is started only if the hardware can handle it. And it works very well on my own machine which can't handle any kind of 3D game. Also, as you mentioned, I have made disabling them as easy as possible. Again, I hope this is a good compromise.

About including GUI options: Modifying the installer is an undertaking that is larger than I can handle. There are many things we as Mint would like to change in the installer and hopefully starting with Gloria we will be getting closer to this, at least from a developers point of view. Also I would like to include a custom GUI tool to configure aspects of this edition that require editing config files at the moment... which is why I asked for some help from anyone with some Python skills... No one has come up yet :(

Please do contribute to the discussion for the Gloria release http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=24183 I can't promise that your requests will be fulfilled... but I will listen and consider them seriously :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”