Help adding Win XP Pro to the Grub Menu

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spider

Re: Help adding Win XP Pro to the Grub Menu

Post by spider »

http://www.pjetr.be/blog/linux-mint-ins ... beginners/

backup before you try anything.... I'm still new to Linux myself so you now have a warning!

if it works let me know, I would like to put Linux as the first and the second option XP... I have two drives myself.

or we both can wait... I'm still researching just in-case this website is incorrect!

good luck!
spider :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spider

Post by spider »

ok... I found what you can use!

for now do this instead of playing Linux tech... when we all get better at that then go for it.

or if you do deside to do the link I sent you... let me know what you did because i'm afraid that it maybe correct or not.

I don't like to guess.... sorry.

go into your package manager and type in the search "qgrubeditor"

have fun! :)

spider
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Add this to the end of the Grub file:

first: gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Code: Select all

title		Windows XP Pro
root		(hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader	+1
And to make it default, go to the line that says this:
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
# default 2
And change the default. Windows XP Pro will be the last one in the list, so count your boot options and put it in there. So lets say you have the Normal, Safe, Mem86+, and Windows XP, put default 3, as it starts counting from 0 rather than 1. So if you have 6 boot options, stick default 5 in. And make sure to remove the '#'

That _should_ do it.

EDIT: As said with the default before, I put (hd1,0) assuming that your Windows disc is your second drive, if it's your first put it as (hd0,0)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If your Grub bootloader is on your Mint disk it will consider that disk sda. Set the Bios to boot from your Mint drive as default and you should have no problems - unless you have a mix of sata and ide drives ( see this article: http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot )
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I don't think IDE and SATA drives are identified any differently in GRUB. I use that way and I have an IDE drive, and most others have a SATA and use that. Whichever has GRUB installed is going to be SDA and whichever is the other is going to be SDB. But when configuring the bootloader, all you have to worry about is "is it (hd0,0) or (hd1,0)"
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Bennetto wrote:Alright i typed in the stuff and here is what happens

Windows shows up
as default :D
but when it runs al i get is a black screen that says starting up at the too left side.

thanks

?? Could you please elaborate on that? I'm afraid I don't understand.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Bennetto:

Can you post a copy of your Grub menu so we can see exactly what you did? It will help clarify the problem and might indicate the solution.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

But Mint still starts correctly? I have a feeling it's more of a matter of needing some fancy tip-toeing around the booting of Windows through GRUB.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Ah, it's just a matter of doing some fancy footwork, as I thought. I am not well versed in the area of boot, however if you PM Fred, he'll be able to help you. (If you read this sorry to volunteer you. :oops: )

Return to “Installation & Boot”