Poor or NO multi-tasking Mint 6

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Timmi

Poor or NO multi-tasking Mint 6

Post by Timmi »

I have a Toshiba laptop with a Core2duo processor.
All multimedia runs fine, whether this is when I had Vista Home Premium, or XP Pro running on it, and regardless of browser (I use Avant, IE7, Chrome, Safari, but rarely firefox as I just hate it). I can have the internet radio playing, among hundreds I have links to and all play fine.

However, when switching to my Mint 6 installation, it won't multitask.
If I have streaming internet radio and switch to another tab in my browser, it just stops playing.
For this reason, I had reinstalled Mint for 64bit, but it crashed a few times and ceased to function altogether.

Now I'm playing around with the latest Ubuntu, but I'm not happier because NO internet radio plays at all... I'm thinking of hunting down a Linux distribution that is as user-friendly as Mint is, but works better than Mint's 64bit version.

This feels frustrating, because as it stands now, my Intel Celeron (!) runs better with XP home than does my recent core2duo based Toshiba laptop under Linux Mint 6! I really had my hopes up on this, and feel weary going back to the drawing board researching various Linux distriutions.

Any suggestions? Any corrected 64bit versions supposed to be introduced? The Ubuntu page is just as uninformative regarding their 64bit code and which version is best for a core2duo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Poor or NO multi-tasking Mint 6

Post by Husse »

There is a recent test of Mint and a few other distributions including multitasking and Mint was ahead in most that was tested
I can't remember where though - I'll add a link if I find it
I see no reason for Mint to perform poorly

Return to “Sound”