Linux On An iPod?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Linux On An iPod?

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

My friend says the software on his iPod is having trouble being detected when he tries to sync music onto his computer. There is some trouble with the software crashing a lot, then when trying to reboot the computer would not detect it. So far as I know the warranty is out, but I heard that you can put Linux on an iPod and I'm thinking that if we can't fix it that I would do a little homework and make his iPod into an embedded Linux project. Since I would be working with another persns property, what are the risks involved? How would I go about doing this? Is there anywhere I can find any help with the already installed Apple software?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Linux On An iPod?

Post by Husse »

In this case I really think google is your friend (and Yahoo, and....)
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

I'm still looking into it, but we're both glad he has all his songs backed up in his external HD....
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

These days the iPod shuffle is so tiny and easy to lose. Also, if I may step on my soapbox, it is wrong for Apple to have such a large market dominance in the music player market--others need a piece of the pie. It may be a good idea to look into good quality iPod alternatives out there. My favorite brand and Apple competitor is Creative Labs, and having their Creative Zen Stone (around $40) for more than two years it showed that it has good Linux support and even better bang for your buck in overall quality. If you do decide to get her a cheaper iPod alternative, expect bratty kids to be cruel to her for not keeping up w/ the rest of the herd (I mean, they did it to me when I went to theology school!). Other than that, no worries.
Last edited by Gunmetal_Ghoul on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

deannali wrote:What is the difference between a regular IPod and and IPod Shuffle? My daughter's birthday is right around the corner and I wanted to get her an IPod but they are quite expensive. Is an IPod shuffle good for an 11 year old?
Ooops,that darn soapbox! The main difference between a regular iPod and an iPod Shuffle besides the size is the Shuffle stores all the music files in a flash memory system (like a USB drive or my EEE PC's solid state drive) while regular iPods are larger and carry more memory in a specially designed hard drive. I hope this has been of help and that everything goes well for your daughter's birthday!

Return to “Chat about Linux”