Forgot Root password

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
agoswami

Forgot Root password

Post by agoswami »

Hi,
I am very new linux mint have only 2 days experience.I Installed many software as simple user.

I need to install one network software. for that it is asking root password .i do not have root password.

could you tell me how can i retrive root password.

i think i intalled mint from window during this time it did not ask any password

oooooooops i think when i install mint it ask me enable root password but i disable. it is anywork around to get default root password

or enable root password

it is urgent for me
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Forgot Root password

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi, your "root" password should just be the same as your user's password by default. The prompt doesn't really want a root password, it wants an administrator's password, like yours, which gives you the same privileges as you would have as root. If you want a real root account, run mintAssistant and select enable, it should prompt for a password.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The root password is not the same as your user password. If you truly rquire a root password to complete your installation go to Menu=>Administration=>mintAssistant. Enter your user password. When the mintAssistant window opens, click on forward to advance to the root password page. The procedure is self explanatory.

I would advise not using your regular password as your root password. This could cause you to end up reinstalling Mint due to one unintentional keystroke or mouse click when root privileges are invoked.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I know the root password is not the same, it's the "root" password that is, i.e. the one the prompt is probably asking for, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo for clarification as to why.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If the program only wanted the user password the standard dialogue box asking for "password for (user)" would be shown. If the app is asking for the root password it means the password entered in the "enable root password" section of mintAssistant.

Most people do not create a root password when they install Mint because it is not recommended. If you use the same password for everyday use and as your root password, you could have problems. Your everyday or "sudo" password has a time limit (I think it's 5 minutes) and is valid only for the operation that requested it. Once you enter your root password you are root for the entire session until you log out. One accidental keystroke or mouse click can destroy your Operating System.
agoswami

Post by agoswami »

Thanks a lot everybody who reply me actively. after your suggestion i am enable root password

and i also keep in mind that root password should be diffirent another password

Return to “Installation & Boot”