InstallingOpen Office 3.0 in Felicia [ Solved ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: InstallingOpen Office 3.0 in Felicia

Post by Meteor »

Fred:

Thank you for your patient guidance on this matter. I hadn't realized that the files had come in as I was seeing a "1" in front of the version number. I guess that's an Ubuntu thing for whatever reason. I used Synaptic, searched for the file, marked it to be upgraded, said go for it. About six or seven minutes later, Synaptic said it was done. And it was!

OOo 3.0.1 is in and running. It kept most of my setup. I just had to tweak it a bit to get OOo the way I like it. My early tests show no real difference between 2.4 and 3. THE test will be when I get a Vista Office file that isn't a plain ".doc". One is sure to turn up in the next week or two. I should be prepared now.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance. It is much appreciated.

I guess we can consider this thread closed or solved.

Meteor
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

exploder wrote:Just add the line to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Then copy and paste in,

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
Then you can update to OpenOffice 3 using Synaptic.
sorry there is only an earlier version update for openopffice not version 3.

is there not a version 3 for mint yet??????????????????????????

**Edit** as version 3 has a new format, style layout for OOO, which is being used from now on, I think we need an official version 3 asap. I have installed the tar version but it has problems.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

clemerson wrote:Instead of installing the file you downloaded, it's easier and probably better to install it from a repository - this way you'll get any updates automatically rolled out to you with your update manager.

So open up Synaptic Package Manager (enter your password) and choose "Settings -> Repositories" froim the top menu.

Go to the "Third Party Software" tab and click the "Add" button

Copy and paste the following into the box labeled "Apt line":

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
Hit "Close", Synaptic will prompt you to push the Reload button up in the corner. After you do this, your system should prompt you for an update (the MintUpdate lock icon in the system tray). Installing these updates will upgrade you to OOo 3.0.1, and the repository will continue to keep your OpenOffice up to date.
There is no 3rd party software tab or any tabs for that matter there. what to do?? i got Linux Mint 6 Filicia - Main Edition if that helps
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

Meteor wrote:
I had Synaptic do a Quick Search for Open Office.org 3. The "Install" column says "1.2.4.1-1ubuntu 2.1" and the "latest" column shows "1.3.0.0-1ubuntu ~ intrepid1". When I boot Writer, it still shows 2.4 on both the boot screen and under "Help".

Sorry to give you so much to look over but if it helps, great. If not, then I guess I wait until those in charge at Ubuntu and Mint get it set up.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Meteor
the latest version in April 9 2009 is now 1:2.4.1-11ubuntu2.1 they seem to have fixed this fault now

OOO3 could be included unsupported until Linux mint gets round to it.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

I installed OOO3 on my linux mint instal but where is the file stored its not with all the other official apps. i cant use the app as i cant access it.

i know it has installed the app as it showed up when i did a check in terminal

sudo dpkg -l | cut -d " " -f 3

i cant find it when searching the computer.

I'm stuck can you help
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

OO.o 3 is in the sources list but it is commented out. Just do

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and look at the last line of the file. Uncomment the line and OO.o 3.01 shows up in mintInstall.

<EDIT> I spoke too soon. Open Office 3 is in the XFCE sources list but not in the main edition sources list.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mickeyj4j,

If you will follow the instructions I gave earlier in the thread you should be good-to-go. Again:

Open terminal and type:

sudo su
(put in your password when asked)

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update

apt-get -u install openoffice.org

Close the terminal. That should do it. You should now have version 3 installed.

Fred

Return to “Software & Applications”