dual-booting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamesthelibertine

dual-booting

Post by jamesthelibertine »

hi, i have been following the the dual-booting guide on here but i have a problem. At the moment i am here http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista ... htm?page=4 and when i type "list partition" i don't have partition 3.

cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: dual-booting

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

I assume that you mean the unallocated space. It has been created by the Partition Editor on your Mint live CD. You need to have defragged your drive and then shrunk the windows partition to allow an area on which to install Mint. The unallocated space will then be split into three partitions, 1. To install the system files 2. Swap file 3, Home partition.

Good Luck
jamesthelibertine

i am at the part where it says to type in LIST PARTITION which i have done now i am at the part where it where it should list the partitions 1,3,0&2 but mine does not show a partition 3. I just have 1,0&2
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

It is much easier if you can install Vista first. then install Mint from a live CD using the "directed-use largest contiguous space" option in the disk partitioner. This will allow you to size your Mint partition by using the graphic of the disk and sliding the partition to the size you want. If your Mint installation has not grown too large, I would suggest dumping your current install, installing Vista, then reinstalling Mint.

Another advantage of installing Vista first is when Mint is installed, Grub will pick up the Vista partition and set up the dual boot menu automatically. No messing with EasyBCD or reinstalling Grub from the live CD

. Of course I can't know your situation. If you have things in your current Mint install you don"t want to lose then of course you should continue with installing Vista as you plan. If this is the case, I think you may not have the identical hard disk set up as the author of the guide. What you have to do is identify the newly created space by size as well as disk location. When you are sure you have the correct partition located, proceed with the installation process using Diskpart to activate the partition.
jamesthelibertine

thank you very much

Return to “Installation & Boot”