mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: mint

Post by npap »

bratliff wrote:How long will it take Mint to include the Ubuntu release?

Does Mint upgrade online like Ubuntu or does it take a new install?

Best, Ratliff
Welcome aboard Bratliff,
At present, there is a Bianca 2.2 release (Ubuntu style), and the Bianca beta KDE edition.
Take a look at http://www.linuxmint.com for some info, and go to Wiki. You will find lots of news there.

Cheers, Npap
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Cassandra (Linux Mint 3.0) will be using Feisty's repositories. We'll start working on it as soon as Ubuntu release their stable version. The upgrade path's complexity depends on Ubuntu one as well. On the linux mint side, the upgrades are quite simple: change repo, update, upgrade.

Clem
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

clem wrote:Hi,

Cassandra (Linux Mint 3.0) will be using Feisty's repositories. We'll start working on it as soon as Ubuntu release their stable version. The upgrade path's complexity depends on Ubuntu one as well. On the linux mint side, the upgrades are quite simple: change repo, update, upgrade.

Clem
I'm new to linux, tried ubuntu 6.10, and have been using mint bianca KDE 020 for two days - love it! I am unclear whether I can upgrade to mint kDE 3.0 and, if so, how? What is meant by "change repo, update, upgrade"? Does this refer only to the Gnome version? In ubuntu, I remember seeing something about upgrading.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The actual procedure is the same, but it will probably take some time before the KDE version is upgraded.
change repo > adjust your list of repositories to reflect the new version, advise on how to do it will be made available
update > apt-get udate
upgrade > apt-get upgrade
and
apt-get dist-upgrade
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

does that mean that you can essentially go from 2.2 to 3.0 with minimal hassle and re-installation blues?
Husse

Post by Husse »

can essentially go from 2.2 to 3.0 with minimal hassle and re-installation blues?
Yes and no
You will be able to upgrade but it is recommended to make a clean new install.
If you have your /home directory on a separate partition
it's no big deal (instructions on how to move home to its own partition can be found in the wiki)
helios
Level 1
Level 1

THIS is how a community is supposed to be

Post by helios »

I have 37 8th graders involved in an experiment and I chose Mint for them to use. One week without Windows...one full week. If they boot into windows, they lose their Ipod...each gets an ipod for finishing the experiment. The only help they can get is through google and this forum. I peek in from time to time to see if any have posted or been answered.

Thank you for making linux "REAL" for real people. It's been missing for far to long. Clem, you and your guys are fantastic and I hope nothing but good things for you. I will help make those good things happen if I can

helios
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Waoo, this is really cool. I got an ipod too in the beginning of the year and I'm really happy with it.

They'll probably note the fact that LM plays MP3 but only records in OGG. This is a decision we made to push users in adopting open formats without preventing them from doing what they need (namely listen to their mp3).

It's important to mention that iPods do play OGG files. Just because the Apple OS that comes with the IPod doesn't support OGG doesn't mean the hardware can't handle it. Rockbox can be installed very easily as a dual boot with the original apple firmware on the ipod and it has no problem reading OGG files.

Rockbox is also themeable and it does look much better than the original firmware.

http://www.rockbox.org/

Good luck to all the people you mentioned and I hope they'll enjoy Bianca/Cassandra.

Clem

Return to “Open Chat”