Problem Install LM 6 XFCE on AAO (solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alfavictory
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Install LM 6 XFCE on AAO (solved)

Post by alfavictory »

Hi guys,

I have on my "beloved one" Linux Mint 6 Felicia (Gnome edition)
I like it, but I waiting for XFCE edition to install.
Live-USB works fine, when I press Install, here is become a trick...
Resolution of my screen 1024x600 and install window (probably) made for 1024x768...
so <back> <next> <cancel> bottons is somewhere below the screen
I have tried to change resolution (640x480 was the only option) make a borders for a workspace 150px on the bottom does not help at all...
Programmer (probably) make fixed window size more than 600px and I can't nor change it, no scroll it somehow!!!
Does anybody knows how I can fix it or install other way around?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alfavictory
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem Install LM 6 XFCE on AAO

Post by alfavictory »

Update
As I saw Ubuntu installer they are always the same.
Buttons on the buttom (Quit)(Back)(Next) so I just count with "Tab" button to choose whatever I need :(
After install there is another surprise for me. Resolution is still the same XFCE don't know that I can probably install this OS to Acer Aspire One or other widescreen laptop. In resolution only 2 options (default) and (640x480) :shock:
Other thing is Wicd first look it's simple and clear utility, but.....
I give to ndiswrapper driver for a Wi-Fi card (Atheros AR5007EG) choose WPA-supliant:ndiswrapper in wicd
put WPA 1/2 passphrase press connect and........... nothing happend
Reboot, check once again. Ndis... see the driver. Wicd thru ndis... see the card. Passphrase correct. Connect... NOTHING!!! Not Connected!!!!!!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I reinstall Linux Mint 6 back... Network manager forever!!!

PS ...still dreaming of XFCE :cry:
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I love the XFCE edition, it's tops IMO. My daughter has an MSI Wind and that 1024x600 resolutions keeps her from running a lot of things! Mostly games she wants! So was it your wireless card that stopped you from the install, or the resolution. sorry if I didn't read it properly.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
alfavictory
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfavictory »

theZoid wrote:I love the XFCE edition, it's tops IMO. My daughter has an MSI Wind and that 1024x600 resolutions keeps her from running a lot of things! Mostly games she wants! So was it your wireless card that stopped you from the install, or the resolution. sorry if I didn't read it properly.
I think resolution more then Wi-Fi because to solve it I can deinstall wicd and install network manager. But what I cannot get is base distrib is Ubuntu 8.10 x-server is the same, here is the question WHY!!! gnome edition works fine (by default resolution 1024x600) and XFCE (by default 1024x768)???
alfavictory
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem Install LM 6 XFCE on AAO (solved)

Post by alfavictory »

Finally I get Mint XFCE 6.0 on my Acer Aspire One Laptop. I will tell you step by step how I fix both of my main problems:
Information inspired me I get here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

1. Install ones again Linux Mint Felicia 6 XFCE CE
2. After reboot Alt+F2 ->xterm

Code: Select all

sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf
add this lines:
in "Device" section:

Option "NoDDC"
in "Monitor" section:

DisplaySize 195 113
Now 1024x600 is our default resolution :)
3. Wired connect to ADSL modem
4. Install new kernel

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/21808577/linux-image-2.6.28-6-generic_2.6.28-6.17_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.28-6-generic_2.6.28-6.17_i386.deb
sudo update-grub
4. Reboot
5. Alt+F2 -> xterm -> iwconfig (look for interface something like wlan0)
6. Open WiCD -> Preferences ->Interface... (wlan0)
7. Connect
8. Enjoy!!! :D

Return to “Xfce”