Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
billmoseley

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Post by billmoseley »

I can't get past the login screen either. Oddly, if I log in from the CLI, I can use "startx" to get into a GUI, but it looks like Ubuntu, not Mint, and Gnome, definitely not KDE. I have the same toolbars at the top and bottom as Ubuntu and even the Ubuntu logo. Like others, I'd rather not have to do a reinstall, if at all possible. Please help ASAP. Thanks.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

dmk62 wrote:Hi

Boo did you include the key for the amarok 2 ppa ? ppa for kde 4 works fine but error that the key is not available for the amarok ppa.

Thanks

Dale
Hi,

The same for me

Apt-get update does not solve it (amarok ppa) - locked.
Synaptic even

I did a clean install and upgraded to KDE 4.2.2 -
Kick off start menu still remains bugged

Roberto
Husse

Post by Husse »

Boo posted this
(We) need to have the dist-upgrade removed from the upgrade from RC instructions.
It breaks kdm.
this would be due to the ppa repo not being enabled.
I've just glanced through the posts, but it seems this may be the problem
The instructions will shortly be changed
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

I was able to recover from the broken login screen by going to the command line (hitting Ctl-Alt-F1) and removing kdm with the purge option 'sudo apt-get remove kdm --purge'. I then reinstalled kdm with 'sudo apt-get install kdm' Seems to work OK after that.

Paul
csat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csat »

Thanks, Clem.

I've installed it to my HD partition and was facing some troubles to configure static IP. When I tried to use Graphical network settings I was getting "Error System Setting - Could not parse XML file()." Reading more from this forum I found a way to configure it editing /etc/network/interfaces. This problem is the only one I faced so far. :D

CSAT
Cheers
csat
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Three of our members have reported that the automatic boot from the live CD resulted in a screen that was two-thirds pink and a third with a gray or blue pattern and it stopped loading at that point. (One person was using a different distro with KDE4.) The work around was to hit the space bar as it was booting and select "compatibility mode" from the menu. It had bypassed this menu the first time. Other than that small issue, Mint 6 KDE has been well received. :D
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
dafi

Post by dafi »

WildSioux wrote:In the RC1, it actually had mint artwork.

++ There seems to be a lot of programs installed by default in the Mint 6 KDE final. Envy, compiz, a TON of language packs that I don't need, and a few other programs that weren't previously installed in the RC1. I would prefer those to not be installed by default. No big deal as I can just uninstall them in synaptic. But something to note.

There was also a pop-up when KDE first ran saying something about a database. Nepomuk??? I don't need a database installed on my computer.

As for the language packs, how come they are installed if I choose English as default in the install steps. I don't need all of the others.
The language packs were also installed at the RC1, to me its kind of rubbish to have spanish, japanese, chinese, russian, german and don't know what else language packs installed, then i click "set as system language" and the installer tells me that the language packs are not completely installed. And goes on installing updates to spanish, japanese, chinese.....
Now i'm deinstalling all those language packs...

The database which was started could be akonadi.

Do i need compiz if i enable the kde-desktop-effects?? Or could i just deinstall it?

I hope the mint-artwork could be downloaded at the mint-artwork-repository. I have to check that. The loginsplash is gone. Thats bad :-(
Husse

Post by Husse »

why is Open Office at version 2.4??
Ubuntu repos ....
We still depend too much on Ubuntu
Upgrading is no simple procedure if my memory serves me right - it is described somewhere in the forum or the blog
Steely

Post by Steely »

Hi

The issue with the kde menu remaining open is also on the kubuntu jaunty beta with kde 4.2.2 so chances are it's a KDE bug and not specific to the distro. The KDE updates are released on a monthly schedule so hopefully that will be addressed in 4.2.3.

Nepomuk is used to manage metadata etc and is an integral part of KDE 4. The indexer strigi has been disabled by default in the final release and can be found in System Setting > Advanced > Desktop Search.

The past mint kde releases have had a lot of extra software compared to the other mint releases ( excluding the mini-iso version of mint kde ). Although I don't use all the included applications it has been nice to see some of them included that were difficult at best to get functioning properly under kubuntu. As mentioned, they can always be removed.

Dale
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

if you upgrade OO or gimp or anything with a mint splash screen, the mint splash screen will be over written.
ie upgrade replaces the splashes with the default.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The upgrade instructions from RC1 to stable were updated. We forgot to mention that the the PPA repositories had to be enabled. Apologies for the incovenience. If you removed any package by mistake, it can be corrected by reinstalling mint-meta-kde.

Clem.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Help!

I installed the final release which installed 4.2.0. This has loads of problems, not least that knetwork manager crashes. I know I have to enable ppa repos and update/upgrade to get 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. The question is how? Like, where are these mythical ppa repos for Mint 6 kde (or compatible *buntu version)? I have googled for ages, read nearly every page of these threads but cannot find current upgrade info.

Could someone help please!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's a bit of a situation we're having here... the difference between RC1 and Stable is minimal and could be ignored... but to actually upgrade to Stable you need these PPA repositories and since our release KDE 4.2.2 was included in them...

So we're looking at a lot of risks to actually upgrade and fix almost nothing. I'll update the release notes again. My advice is to stick to what you have with RC1, which can be considered stable, or to make the full jump to KDE 4.2.2, which of course represents a risk.

Clem.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Clem - thanks for prompt reply. I downloaded what I thought was Stable yesterday - not RC1. This still gave me only 4.2.0??

kde 4.2.0 is unusable for me as I must have static network connections for my network. Since knetwork manager is broken in 4.2.0 I tried setting up static address manually. Changes to interfaces work fine but knetwork manager, although broken, is still able to successfully overwrite DNS entries in resolv.conf - also necessary on my system.

Therefore I need to update to at least 4.2.1 to get the working copy of KNetwork Manager.

BTW even if I wanted to upgrade I still can't find the notes to setup ppas etc - do you have a link? Presumably there is no point in doing a straightforward dist-upgrade with the default repos?

Regards

RJ
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

to enable the KDE ppa repository you can use the gui way and open synaptic in the system menu group.
setup --> repositories
then tick the box (near the bottom) saying ppa experimental kde4.
appy, and update or exit and use mint update.

or you can edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment the ppa experimental kde4 line near the bottom.
save and exit.
then use mint update.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Many thanks Boo - I'll give it a try.

RJ
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

csat wrote:Thanks, Clem.

I've installed it to my HD partition and was facing some troubles to configure static IP. When I tried to use Graphical network settings I was getting "Error System Setting - Could not parse XML file()." Reading more from this forum I found a way to configure it editing /etc/network/interfaces. This problem is the only one I faced so far. :D

CSAT
For me, upgrading to 4.2.2 gave a working version of knetwork manager. But still no static ip address. I have tried creating one in KNM but it still defaults to DCHP. Tried creating static address by modifying /etc/network/interfaces file. This is OK but I need DNS as well. If I put these in /etc/resolv.conf. they are overwritten each boot by knetwork manager. Well known problem, is this.

Beginning to think "Is it all worth it?" I love Mint and am a die-hard KDE user but what is the advantage of 4.2 over 3.5.10 - big enough to warrant the steep learning curve for a completely new desktop. What can it do that 3.5.10 can't? Not much as far as I can see and still so many things that don't work properly or are missing. IMO a PITA really. I reckon Gnome must be laughing up their sleeves at this :evil:
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

gethoht wrote:
dmk62 wrote:Hi

Boo did you include the key for the amarok 2 ppa ? ppa for kde 4 works fine but error that the key is not available for the amarok ppa.

Thanks

Dale
I'm getting the same error...

How can i download and install that gpg key for that ppa so that apt, synaptic etc... can use it?

Thanks!
I am getting a couple of these errors:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 9423A34CCA967634
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 60D11217247D1CFF
PS: Happy Easter!
changturkey

Post by changturkey »

arjay wrote:
csat wrote:Thanks, Clem.

CSAT
For me, upgrading to 4.2.2 gave a working version of knetwork manager. But still no static ip address. I have tried creating one in KNM but it still defaults to DCHP. Tried creating static address by modifying /etc/network/interfaces file. This is OK but I need DNS as well. If I put these in /etc/resolv.conf. they are overwritten each boot by knetwork manager. Well known problem, is this.

Beginning to think "Is it all worth it?" I love Mint and am a die-hard KDE user but what is the advantage of 4.2 over 3.5.10 - big enough to warrant the steep learning curve for a completely new desktop. What can it do that 3.5.10 can't? Not much as far as I can see and still so many things that don't work properly or are missing. IMO a PITA really. I reckon Gnome must be laughing up their sleeves at this :evil:
I really don't think KDE4 will be truly usable till 4.3/4.4. This is coming from someone who likes KDE.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

I reckon you are right about usability. But I have a slightly different point. Even when it is working reliably, what advantage will kde 4 have over 3.5? It doesn't seem any faster (at the moment just the opposite). 3.5.10 with Compiz etc has as much eye candy as most people could wish for. I have searched the internet for a decent comparison of the two, or for a list of advantages etc without finding much. So, again, what do users think the advantages are, or will be? :?

RJ

Return to “Releases & Announcements”