Synaptic not displaying all packages

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

Synaptic not displaying all packages

Post by akshunj »

This may not be related to KDE, but that's what I'm using. I will add repositories to APT, but their packages won't show up in Synaptic. I can apt-get them, but nothing in Synaptic. Anybody ever heard of this?

--Akshun J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Synaptic not displaying all packages

Post by grimdestripador »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
Fred

Post by Fred »

akshunj,

I am assuming you did in-fact get the repos in the sources.list since you can do an < apt-get update > and call them from the CLI with < apt-get install >. If so, this is rather odd. Try doing a < dpkg --configure -a >, then go to synaptic and refreshing the package list. If the packages are still not there look in the sources.list file with an editor and see if the repos in question are still there and not commented out. If everything looks ok there I would do an < apt-get --purge remove synaptic >, then reinstall with < apt-get -u install synaptic > Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you without digging a lot deeper.

EDIT: You know of course, you must do these commands with sudo or as root.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

akshunj,

I had another thought, I know, they are rare. :-)

Did you check synaptic to make sure all the settings were appropriate? Particularly settings having to do with the repos displayed/used and any display filters you might be using.

Fred
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a linux noob, so I know my way around APT and the command-line. The repositories are added properly as I can apt-get everything from them from the command-line. They just don't "show" in Synaptic. For example, I added the Virtualbox repository, but it won't show Virtualbox 2.2 (the newest) in Synaptic. It will show only the old one available through the Ubuntu repositories. But when I did, "sudo apt-get install virtualbox2.2", it installed properly. Even crazier is AFTER the install, Synaptic won't show that I have Virtualbox 2.2 installed! It still shows that the old version is available for install...

This is just an annoyance, but I'm pissed that I can't figure it out. Any other suggestions? And yes, I fiddled with Synaptics filters, to no avail...

--Akshun J
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

did you add the key for the repo if it has one?
does it repo show up in the synaptic source/repo filter?
I wounder if a hold has been put on those packages (or repo) somehow.

have you tried aptitude? does it show the 2.2 version.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Boo wrote:did you add the key for the repo if it has one?
does it repo show up in the synaptic source/repo filter?
I wounder if a hold has been put on those packages (or repo) somehow.

have you tried aptitude? does it show the 2.2 version.

Boo
Oddly enough, it shows up in Synaptic now. Weird. Not sure what I did...

Return to “Software & Applications”