Change password

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
botc

Change password

Post by botc »

I changed my login-password, but it caused the networking-thingy on the panel to always as for gnome-keyring password upon connecting. By searching the internet, I found that the password for gnome-keyring should be the same as the login-password. So my question is: How can I change the password for gnome-keyring so that it matches my login-password again?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Change password

Post by proxima_centauri »

I've never really used this feature and I'm not running Mint right now;
but until better help arrives, there should be the programs "Encryption and Keyrings" and "Passwords and Encryption Keys" in the menu. Perhaps one of these has something you can change the keyring-password with.
botc

Post by botc »

That's the first thing that came to my mind also, but there doesn't seem to be anything in "Encryption and Keyrings" that would enable me to change the password. I also checked "Authorizations", but couldn't find anything useful there either.
botc

Post by botc »

Nobody knows?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

These are a little older, but looks like the same problem, maybe relavent.
I don't want to sound rude, but I found those relatively easy through google, don't be afraid to do you own searches if you can't get help right away here :D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=20
botc

Post by botc »

Thanks for your links, I'll be sure to check them out. I did try googling, but didn't seem to be able find anything useful ;P The problem for me (coming from Slackware based distros) is that everything is so different (much more complex) in Debian/Ubuntu/Mint World. For example a simple procedure of changing passwords seems to require some additional fancy footwork...

--edit--

Ok, that was the problem. If you change the login-password, you need to delete the file: /home/[username]/.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring. That will cause a new login.keyring file to be created upon next login and everything works like charm again. Hmm... maybe "About Me" applet could/should delete the file automatically when the password is changed...? That would fix the whole issue.

Anyway, thanks a million :)

Return to “Other topics”