MS IntelliMouse Optical setup help

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Paul-in-Devon-UK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MS IntelliMouse Optical setup help

Post by Paul-in-Devon-UK »

Uncle Bob wrote:I use the above-mentioned mouse and have it configured in xorg.conf as follows:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ExplorerPS/2"
	Option         "Buttons"       		"7"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option		"ButtonMapping"		"1 2 3 6 7"
EndSection
I have the same mouse but no back/forward functioning buttons. I looked but do not seem to have an xorg.conf file. I guess I could create one from the above code but as a NooB have no idea where to put it.

Could you tell me where to put it. :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the xorg.conf file is found in:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
if you are using DE (gnome or kde...) you have one.
:)
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Paul-in-Devon-UK
Level 1
Level 1

Yay! found it. I am emulating a 3 button mouse so just need to change a couple of lines to get the functionality I want.

So why did a search in File Browser not find it? I just searched while viewing /etc/x11 and it still could not find the file that I could see in the folder content list? Click on Help - files missing! Never mind - read up on and learn grep looks like a better idea.

Now the fun begins - Permissions = root only. So, SU but it will not accept the password I use when making changes via the Control Panel. I only configured one password during install so what is the root password?

Another option might be to change my group membership to root (currently=admin) but I am a bit wary of that route as I do not know enough yet and might box myself in a corner I can't get out of.

Bottom line - How do I edit and save changes?

I realise that this is extremely basic and I should probably know but the system has only been installed 36 hours and I have a HUGE amount to learn.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

from a terminal window:

sudo gedit /etx/X11/xorg.conf

edit and save.
Hit Ctl-Alt-Backspace to restart X and login again.

:)
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Paul-in-Devon-UK
Level 1
Level 1

OOOooh that was cruel :cry:

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace - I thought it would restart the terminal window not the whole blasted session. Not even a polite 'are you sure' the way that nice Mr. Gates software does :lol:

If I can remember where I was I will get back to sorting out the printing and network issues I was working on at the same time.

On the brighter side - I now have a FULLY functional mouse.

A BIG thanks to everyone for their input(s)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Just a comment:
You never log in as root in any Ubuntu based distro (well you can find numerous posts on how to do that in the forum, but that's to do things the way you should not in my opinion) Root does not have a password as you can't get there without the use of your own password (sudo)
If you find something on the printing side of Mint post back!
If solved let us know, else I'll see what I can do more...

Return to “Hardware Support”