WIFI

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dafi

Re: WIFI

Post by dafi »

If your wifi-card/stick was recogniced by Linux, just open knetworkmanager and enter your data.
There is a textbox for your ssid (your network name) and one for the wpa1/2 key.
Then click Save and Connect...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

it could be knetworkmanager, you should be able to left click, connect to other network and choose eth1(wifi card).
you could also check under settings but i think that is knetworkmanager too.

you could try installing wicd i think. but it is gnome based, and may remove knetworkmanager.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi allegro88

Can you please provide more info on your wifi device? Is it an onboard device or an adapter?

Also please post the terminal output of the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py
(enter your password when asked)

Please see the attached screenshots.
screenshot44.png
screenshot45.png
**(In red is where your ESSID (name of your network) would appear if you are connected.)

You should see something similar when you right click on the "knetworkmanager" icon in your system tray, located on the right side of the taskbar by default.

Both images are showing a connected network so if your not connected some things will look different. *Please note which items are grayed out on your system and post them as well. Check and see if you have tried all of the options, etc on the popup box.

The more precise and accurate info that you provide, the faster and sooner someone may be able to help you.

I think the "wicd" sounds like a very interesting idea. Ive not used it but Im gonna check into it some more....

Thanx tvgc
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi

Your output is only showing an Ethernet connection:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet Endereço de HW 00:1b:38:5a:49:8a
inet end.: 192.168.10.198 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Masc:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Métrica:1
pacotes RX:167047 erros:0 descartados:0 excesso:0 quadro:0
Pacotes TX:213566 erros:0 descartados:0 excesso:0 portadora:0
colisões:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:40028899 (40.0 MB) TX bytes:43573535 (43.5 MB)
IRQ:220 Endereço de E/S:0xa000

that is connected and working.

Your output is not showing any onboard PCI (built-in cards) devices. They would appear here: * I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
I dont understand why doesn t work,its a laptop, with ebebed wireless driver, and the system recognizes so.....
Is there anyother way??
Are you meaning to say "embedded PCI cards"? Are you positive that you are not using an adapter?

Please disconnect your Ethernet and rerun the same command again.

Also run the following in terminal:

lspci -vv

Check and make sure knetworkmanager is installed:

sudo apt-get install knetworkmanager
Info for WICD can be found here http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php but you may have to enable and add the Wicd repository to the package manager and as Boo said, it may uninstall what you already have installed due to conflicting packages (Im not sure). If it were me I would wait before doing this at least for now until we check out whats installed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

allegro88 wrote:Only now i understood that.....Well im quite shure, because its a laptop and ti has lees than one year.......How can i solve this?? How can i find drivers for this if i dont even have a clue wich card i have on my laptop?
You can try this: Take the name of your computer (whoever made it), the model and or series numbers (should be written on it somewhere or in a manual), the year it was made, and any other info that is particular to your PC and run that info in a Google search. Look in the results for the manufacturers web site. Then you may have to do a search there as well. Google is your friend when it comes to looking for info. Search results can be reduced and made more specific by adding " at both ends of your search query like this: "my computer info here".

Hope this helps some...

Return to “Software & Applications”