The look of new Linux Mint

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jobastr

Re: The look of new Linux Mint

Post by jobastr »

A theme takes much time to create, do the work every month seems not feasible.
However it might be possible to create a part of the theme every month, which would have a complete set at each new version.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I think... that we have many members in this community who are very talented when it comes to art and design... and just like we have maintainers for various editions, we should have either one talented person in charge of graphic design and themes, or a team of talented people... He/She/They will choose artwork that will be used across editions as much as possible.

My reasoning is: as Mint develops release after release into her own... a far cry from the early Ubuntu + codecs image, we need to start spreading the work load. This will allow people to focus on what they are good at. The community repository is a step in the right direction... we should be expecting 5 editions for the Gloria release... I don't think any other distro provides this level of a tailored experience out of the box!

We should build on the momentum we have gained in the Linux world! Number 3 on distrowatch... a hand full of devs 3rd after distros supported by Canonical and Novell... beating a distro supported by Red Hat! This is no small feat. We are doing something very right. Of course right now we do depend on the work of the Ubuntu devs... But with that we take the good *and* the bad of Ubuntu. We should break out of this mould sooner or later if we are to come into our own... and by this I mean our own independent repos and base.

Anyway, we're discussing on artwork here... I think having an artwork person or team is in order... it's about division of labor... my 2 cents.
jobastr

Post by jobastr »

I am not safe sure to understand indeed the sense of your comments, sorry but my English is very limited.
You would be for this project?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

basically, what i'm saying is we should have an artwork team... I don't think I would be included in that...
jobastr

Post by jobastr »

It was just a suggestion, but I do not think it will be followed.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

jobastr, some beautiful GDM you have made. I saw it on the Mint-Art website...
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
cespinal

Post by cespinal »

I'm sorry to be the black sheep here but, one thing a have found Linux users to be is that they love originality and therefore, strive to customize their systems as much as they can.

Having this said, is it really that important to change the artwork on every release? cuz at the end of the day everyone ends up feasting on fine artwork over the web :D.

My opinion is, as the community keeps producing good art, the developers can focus on creating stable,hardware supporting systems.
jobastr

Post by jobastr »

midas wrote: jobastr, some beautiful GDM you have made. I saw it on the Mint-Art website...
Yes, and I have many to come.
jobastr

Post by jobastr »

To cespinal

However, the first thing that attracts the curious, the aesthetic of this distribution, and often keeps to its stability and its little more.
Just read the posts of newcomers to be convinced.
The current look is starting to be old, I am convinced it is time to change it, but this is only my personal opinion.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I, for one, like to customize my desktop. Any given configuration of themes lasts a maximum of about one month on my machine... But that is me. There are many who will go with the default themes for as long as they use the OS. Just think of how many Windows machines you have seen with green grass and blue sky wallpaper... What about the blue and green XP theme... (not like you have much of a choice). So it is not necessarily changing for every release... It's about style and trends which change with the times... which is most apparent in the fashion industry. Not that Mint looks bad right now... far from it. It's just that a fresh look doesn't hurt, as long as it looks good. And looking good is a feature!
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

trot2millah wrote:... combination of green, blue, purple and black ...
Just an observation... replace the purple with beige and we'd be talking about XP :lol: ok... its not subtle... more retina searing :P
ruel24

Post by ruel24 »

I agree that the arwork in Mint, so far, is just superb. I love the shade of green. It's both relaxing and fitting. Personally, I'd make all versions using green, instead of other colors like blue. Mint = green. You don't see OpenSuse or Fedora using other colors for their different desktops. Keep it consistent.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I love it so much, I installed the Mint Tools (and Theme) on top of Ubuntu Karmic.
(I had Mint 7 installed already on other pcs)
-H

Return to “Your Artwork”