Mint search engine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyed

Mint search engine

Post by mintyed »

Is there a search engine like in XP for Mint to look up, files, applications other things on my computer.

the tracker search tool wont find anything. i chose several files/folders that I know to be in different places on my computer but came up with Your search returned no results. I dont even think it did a search as it was over in like 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 secs
so this is a dead program at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that might lead to this problem being solved.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rmockler

Re: Mint search engine

Post by rmockler »

Something you can try is the Gnome search tool. Navigate to /usr/bin/ and go down until you find gnome-search-tool. Double click on it and give it a try. Basically you either search in your home directory or the entire file system.
If you like it you can make a launcher for it and away you go.
Joejc

Post by Joejc »

Nautilus has a search built in to use it click on the last icon on the tool bar thing. If you want to search your whole drive just go to / , if you want to search a folder just go to that folder.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

rmockler wrote:Something you can try is the Gnome search tool. Navigate to /usr/bin/ and go down until you find gnome-search-tool. Double click on it and give it a try. Basically you either search in your home directory or the entire file system.
If you like it you can make a launcher for it and away you go.
Thanks Just what I needed.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Tracker won't find anything until it's indexed all your files. If you want to use tracker you need to have turned on indexing sometime beforehand.

Return to “Beginner Questions”