ffmpeg has no mp3 encoding (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ginjabunny

ffmpeg has no mp3 encoding (Solved)

Post by ginjabunny »

I have been trying to rip the audio from a dvd to mp3, I extract it to a vob using vobcopy then if I try to extract the audio to mp3 with ffmpeg using "-vcodec libmp3lame" I get an error and I have read that the ffmpeg that is in the default repository has been compiled without mp3 encoding so even thought I have lame installed it will not use it, is there an easy way to get a copy of ffmpeg which is mp3 enabled, maybe from another repository?

If the above is not available then can I recompile it with what I already have installed as I notice there is no source for ffmpeg listed on synaptic, if so, how?
If not then should I remove the version I have installed via synaptic and download the latest and compile it myself, if I did this would I need any extra libraries to enable me to compile it?
I am wary of doing things without apt sorting out the dependencies for me, if I start manually installing things that are not compatible with my current system then it could turn into a horror show trying to sort it out! (We need a checkpoint restore system for linux).

This is not a big problem but it would be nice to know (I can extract to mp2 then convert to mp3, and there are alternatives).

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ginjabunny

Re: ffmpeg has no mp3 encoding (Solved)

Post by ginjabunny »

after writing all that I have found a page which walks through installing ffmeg from source so I'll try that and report back if successful

the post says, it's simple, yea right, after several hours I still can't get it to install, getting errors at various points, it looks like ffmpeg latest version (got via svn) has changed over time

I should have gone to the ubuntu wiki to start with and have got it installed now, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ffmpeg the section named "Compiling FFmpeg from upstream svn snapshots", I had to change libdc1394-dev to libdc1394-22-dev on the apt-get, and remove --enable-libx264 from the configure.
(Ignore the bit about the Medibuntu repository bit at the bottom, because Mint already has this by default and that is where I got ffmpeg from originally)

and now it works. hurrah

(maybe we could have any extra version of ffmpeg in the Mint repository with it already installed which has dependency on Lame)
ginjabunny

Re: ffmpeg has no mp3 encoding (Solved)

Post by ginjabunny »

I have just installed Mint 7 and when I put ffmpeg on using synaptic I noticed that again no libmp3lame (mp3) encoding but I also have an Ubuntu 9.04 system with exactly the same version of ffmpeg which does, after much fiddling I discovered that it is due to 2 "libav" libraries being different, so install the following

libavcodec-unstripped-52 (will remove libavcodec52)
libavutil-unstripped-49 (will remove libutil49)

now when I do ffmpeg -formats is says libmp3lame (mp3) encoding is supported.

So I didn't have to go through the pain of recompiling it after all.

Hope this helps

Return to “Sound”