workspace wallpapers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muttonhunter
Level 1
Level 1

workspace wallpapers

Post by muttonhunter »

Is it possible to have a different wallpaper for each different workspace?
for example i would like to have a pic of my dog for workspace #1, a pic of landscape for workspace #2.
felicia-x64.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ip 35-E, E6750 @3.4GHZ, evga 8800gt
helena-x64.
f@h 24/7
Husse

Re: workspace wallpapers

Post by Husse »

If you mean each side of the cube it is possible but hard to do and you loose all desktop icons
muttonhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by muttonhunter »

I am not using the cube.

I am using the "none" setting under the "visual effects" tab on the "appearance preferences" page.
I cannot enable "normal", extra, or custom, I get a "Desktop effects could not be enabled" message when i try to enable any of them. I assume at this point that is because of my graphics card, a evga7600 GT. I was able to use the cube when i first set up my install, but I was using a 8800GT graphics card then, but had to switch to the lesser card.
Thanks.
helena-x64.
f@h 24/7
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Have you (re)installed the nvidia driver? I would have thought a 7600 should run compiz ok.
muttonhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by muttonhunter »

yes, I have installed,reinstalled the nvidia drivers numerous times, most of the time the pop up windows says "downloading and installing driver", 0% for five minutes then closes,every sixth try or so the graph goes to 100%, i get the reboot prompt, do so but nothing has changed, still get the effects could not be enabled message. this does not really bother me as I hope to get a mmore modern card soon, and i'm pretty sure the driver issue will go away.

but, I would like to be able to have different wallpapers for each of my desktops, if i recall correct the first time i went linux (ubuntu 6) i was able to do that and found it realhelpful for me to organize myself as to which desktop i was using at the moment.
its not the end of the world if i cant do this as i am happy with mint as is , just trying to customize a bit.
helena-x64.
f@h 24/7

Return to “Beginner Questions”