I am the super-user dammit!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

Re: I am the super-user dammit!

Post by fwc »

I find it strange that they told you to disable the root user in installation, I thought it was suppose to be on. I think the only way to test whether you are really root is to go into the terminal and try typing fdisk -l and see if it accepts the command. If it does not accept than you are not the admin and must type sudo fdisk -l where it should prompt you for a password. the -l is a lower case L. Hope this helps, and maybe someone knows more who can guide you better.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Even though you are the only user, you still are a normal user. To become "super user" you need to issue the command

Code: Select all

sudo
before any other command in terminal. For instance instead of running

fdisk -l
you need to use

sudo fdisk -l
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You don't need to have the root password enabled to do anything in Mint. When it asks you for a password, just enter the password you chose during the installation. This gives you superuser privileges for the action you are performing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”