Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mcurran

Re: Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" released!

Post by mcurran »

Yeah Clem, I love this distro. and I'm walking hard. Upon installing Felicia, I see a few old freinds, and oh, wait, there's a couple more running straight at me. (BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, THAT JUST WON'T DIE).

DO WE HAVE A BUG REPORTING SECTION FOR LINUX MINT? WE NEED ONE.

If you want, I could start collecting a lot of popular bug lists from Ubuntu's releases and prior releases that got carried over into ours, so that we might try to work together and resolve them before they infect Mint's newer releases. I could do that on my own free time. There are already three big bugs/problems I'm working on again this time around with Felicia that I've seen before, but my experience with the workarounds has become effortless and those were fixed rather quickly (but only for me, because I don't have time to write up another tutorial/wiki for others, because immediatley jump to the next bug/problem that came over)

Right now I'm working on my broadcom problem, which is a bug from ubuntu where the proprietary drivers are a little messed up (bcm43xx and the other one) Basically they are just not running up-to-par with the original drivers written for windows - So I'm going to try the ndiswrapper route and see if I can solve my problem and also confirm or negate all the old rumors about that approach - I'm sure you know what I mean :)

But seriously: We still have the issue with the post vga driver detection (OLD CRT MONITORS), but now having all the added and broken automations configuring xorg.conf and everything else is just leaving our users completely lost... (I'm sure there's a lot of sad folks, because I would arrogantly assume that Mint users are people like me, with not so top of the line products - where a quick change on the new kernel leaves them out in the dark fighting for the light switch.

Please consider having the web admins. setup some type of bug reporting section like ubuntu does and I'm sure we'll start to surpass their efforts in no time, then they can start sending out release notes telling their users they should look in our forums for assistance to their issues.

Sorry for the long post, but it is all completely relevant, even the heads at Canonical are becoming concerned about the shooting rise in these bugs. We need to balance the QC's with growth, or our end product will be something unfamiliar to your original plan, leaving the old and dying computers without life assistance : :cry: I guess that would be your call at this point in time.

I will do the ndiswrapper fix and I'll put that in common knowledge here somewhere as soon as it proves to be superior...
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

I've got a hosting account with tons of disk space and bandwidth. I'm perfectly willing to host a bug data base there, one suggestion though. Don't use Bugzilla, there are a number of much better open source and/or free bug databases available.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Trump

Post by Trump »

From the blog:
LinuxMint-6-x64 is ready for testing and will be released soon (at the end of the coming week we hope)
Yay!
b4upoo

Post by b4upoo »

I am using Felicia and I am very, very impressed. This would be a great distro even if it had a huge company behind it. The fact that such work can come from small teams of people is a real proof that Open Source has a great future. And when it comes down to a distro that is essentially a one man band that is even more true. It should be no shock that Mint, Slackware and Mepis are my all time favorites as all of these distros are either one man or small group distros.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

urionsan wrote:It is great.

I really think that this could be a distrib that can fall down Windows...

the x64 ed is for WHEN?
I wouldn't worry about Mint 64 too much. I just tried Ubuntu 64 and the 64 bit Flash player is just horrible... Going back to the regular Mint.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

urionsan wrote:the x64 ed is for WHEN?
If you take a look at the mirrors you're in for a surprise... :roll:
Trump

Post by Trump »

Trump goes and looks at the mirrors.

Trump comes back.

What?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Post by Guest »

kanishka wrote:Ok now it's official: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=20672
I see. Cool beans. :D
stalonge

Post by stalonge »

This is my first post here ... i tested hundreds of distros for at least 4 years .. this is marvelous .. i changed all ubuntus here to mint , everything works great .. my asus av6 with 3 years of great works give thanks to all devs .. next days i will try it in a asus eepc atom .. i will post the results soon ..

thanks

:D :D
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Does it have Adobe Flash 10 and Java 6.13?
amoreto

Post by amoreto »

hi everyone!
i have a flash problem with firefox.when i watch a video on youtube and i open another window,when i go back to the video on youtube ,i can't watch the video again,and in the frame of the video it's a all gray.
and i'm playing a game online ,called my.brute.com ,and sometimes some pictures don't show up,
i need help :p
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

amoreto wrote:hi everyone!
i have a flash problem with firefox.when i watch a video on youtube and i open another window,when i go back to the video on youtube ,i can't watch the video again,and in the frame of the video it's a all gray.
and i'm playing a game online ,called my.brute.com ,and sometimes some pictures don't show up,
i need help :p
Hi amoreto,
You may want to repost your question at the following location:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=48
And don't forget to give it a relevant title.

More people will see it there and may have advice.
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
amoreto

Post by amoreto »

thank you john!
i thought this was the best place to post :p

Return to “Releases & Announcements”