File Server Suggestions

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwisher

File Server Suggestions

Post by kwisher »

I would like some opinions for a file server build. I have no experience with actual server grade hardware. The customer is a photographer and uses Photoshop. He is requesting a central storage system so that he can work on his files from multiple Windows systems in his studio. I will use Mint-5 64-bit as the O/S. I will also be installing a gigabit network.

My questions are:

1.) Is server grade hardware necessary for this situation or can I just use pc grade hardware?
2.) I would like to use Raid-1 with two 1-TB disks. Is software raid dependable or should I use hardware raid?
3.) I would like to have some kind of backup system. I was thinking of two 1-TB external drives that could be swapped each week. The customer would keep one drive off-site at all times. Can this be accomplished without the user having to unmount & mount the drives? He is somewhat computer illiterate.

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: File Server Suggestions

Post by Husse »

I thought you would ask about the networking part - glad you did not :)
Ill try to answer
1.) Is server grade hardware necessary for this situation or can I just use pc grade hardware?
<<
Better quality "pc grade" is more than enough. Even if it may not be strictly necessary put a video card in it - much easier when things go wrong - and they always do :)
<<
2.) I would like to use Raid-1 with two 1-TB disks. Is software raid dependable or should I use hardware raid?
<
Software raid is ok for normal consumer use - I strongly recommend hardware raid - if you by a consumer motherboard you should by a separate PCI card for this
<<
3.) I would like to have some kind of backup system. I was thinking of two 1-TB external drives that could be swapped each week. The customer would keep one drive off-site at all times. Can this be accomplished without the user having to unmount & mount the drives? He is somewhat computer illiterate.
<
If the drives are connected with USB they are automatically mounted, but must be manually unmounted before disconnect
In Windows that's called Safe Remove if my memory serves me right :) USB 2 is reasonably fast, but not lightning fast :)
I have no experience with firewire which would be faster (somewhat) I assume you are backing up the file server - if you are to backup "directly" it's another story
The problem would be networking but a correctly configured samba would work well
There is a sample samba config in the forum if you want one - search for the user miket and samba
kwisher

Re: File Server Suggestions

Post by kwisher »

Thanks for your suggestions. I am confident in setting up the networking. I have been using a Linux Samba/NFS server at home for years.

I will have a better idea after I meet with the customer at his business today as to how much data he will actually be storing on the server. If it not too much, I will probably suggest some sort of on-line (in-the-cloud) solution that can be done automatically.

Return to “Hardware Support”