mp4 to mpg

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dirk

mp4 to mpg

Post by dirk »

hello all

i bought a HD video cam and filmed some stuff (format 1280 x 720), it's on my memorycard and if i copy the files to my harddisc it's a MP4 file. i want to convert it to mpg files and i found something on the Ubuntu forum that will help me

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=710570 if i use this i got my files converted

but my question is do i lose quality by converting the files and use MAN DVD to make a decent dvd, i use linux mint Elyssa

thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: mp4 to mpg

Post by Husse »

There may be some degradation in quality but I don't think much
You basically use mencoder and it's a good tool
dirk

Post by dirk »

thx for the answer. this will help going on with linux
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Handbrake should be able to do this for you as well, if you're interested. Its a wonderful little tool. Just giving you the options. Good luck.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

psych1610 wrote:Handbrake should be able to do this for you as well, if you're interested. Its a wonderful little tool. Just giving you the options. Good luck.
I had a look at handbrake and they have a download for Ubuntu 8.10, I am running Elyssa (8.04), should this still work ?
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

It does work indeed. I tried it not too long ago.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

psych1610 wrote:It does work indeed. I tried it not too long ago.
Downloaded and tried to install with gdebi but I get dependancy missing message of libgtk2.0.0
I do have this installed and also the dev library.
Should I do a force install ?
Any help appreciated

EDIT: OK forget it, I was looking for something - other than tovid - to make dvd from mp4 as the first poster asked. Handbrake is for the reverse :?
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

My apologies, I must have read it wrong? I thought handbrake could do what you're asking for as well though.

Return to “Sound”