Using chkrootkit - slight security/Trojan anxiety

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alun_sundry

Using chkrootkit - slight security/Trojan anxiety

Post by alun_sundry »

Today after relying on nothing but the Gufw firewall I installed chkrootkit. I've just run it for the first time and all the results are innocent enough except this:

Checking `lkm'... You have 4 process hidden for readdir command
You have 4 process hidden for ps command
chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

Is it nothing to be concerned about i.e. would a freshly installed Mint 6 give the same result? I know these things can be a bit sensitive, so to speak, and I had become quite relaxed with the idea of Linux's security strengths.

I have no idea what we are meant to do after running this program though, and chkrootkit is a Terminal-operated program which leaves me in the dark a bit.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Using chkrootkit - slight security/Trojan anxiety

Post by Husse »

Maybe some worries
I just installed and checked and I have nothing - nada - zilch :)
It can be perfectly legit things
You have to find out what it is
man chkrootkit
tells you that -e excludes known false positives
Begin by running it with the -e option
There may be a log
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

For the record, if anyone looks here regarding rootkits, tonight I reinstalled Mint 6, then immediately installed and ran chkrootkit, with the same results of 5 unknown processes in the LKM section. So they are certainly false positives, and I won't be worrying about malware again until Linux is so popular that the worry's warranted. I hope my enquiries caused no one bother.
Husse

Post by Husse »

And with the -e option?
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

When I tried that I got an error message:

shift: 2618: can't shift that many

I looked at sites dealing with instructions for chkrootkit to no avail. In case I got the form of the command wrong, what exactly would I type into the terminal instead of sudo chkrootkit?

Thanks.
p.s. It would be a godsend if Linux Mint 7 takes note of the problematic nature of the new intel driver in Ubuntu 9.04 - I don't think I'll have 9.04 on long.
Husse

Post by Husse »

if Linux Mint 7 takes note of the problematic nature of the new intel driver in Ubuntu 9.04
We are discussing what to do about it. It can't be solved but at least made less bad ....
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

paolari wrote:How do I safely remove a trojan horse manually? I did a virus scan on yahoo's free pc scanners and it saids that my c:\WINDOWS\browser.exe is infected with Trojan Horse but it doesn't say what kind of trojan horse since there are thousands listed on the net. All I want to know is how do I safely remove it myself since I don't know what kind of trojan horse it has.
Get yourself a decent virus removal/detection program for windows such as Avast! Antivirus (which is free for personal use)

Return to “Software & Applications”