Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 3 + Ext 4

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
badmotor

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 3 + Ext 4

Post by badmotor »

Yeah guys - I know complaining is not good, and like most people once in a while, I just got frustrated. I actually hung out in the Ubuntu Forums for about 2 weeks before the release, but I didn't realise the extent of the problem.

I didn't read the release notes. If anyone knows can find out any information (I don't know where to look) I'd be most grateful. Here's my desktop:

Code: Select all

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

edit: changed readout for correct computer.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

badmotor wrote:Yeah guys - I know complaining is not good, and like most people once in a while, I just got frustrated. I actually hung out in the Ubuntu Forums for about 2 weeks before the release, but I didn't realise the extent of the problem.
There is hope for you short of waiting for Karmic:

1. revert back to the 2.4 drivers that were in Intrepid:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler ... riverTo2.4

2. skip forward with some pre-proposed from Karmic:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

One of the two will likely be made available directly for Jaunty.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Looks like reverting the drivers doesn't work for my chipset either. Oh well, looks like I'll be missing out on this round of Ubuntu.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I switched to the 2.6.30 Karmic kernel and the newer intel drivers on my Mini-9 netbook. Nice step forward. Took Planet Penguin Racer from 16-20fps to 26-30fps. Thats huge! However, the wl wifi module doesn't exist for the .30 so I dropped back to 2.6.28 to keep everything functional.

I think I'll give the older 2.4 drivers a shot, reaching back to Intrepid to use them with Jaunty. They're reported to work well for my hardware.

The problem most people are having with Jaunty's video support is that in order to support everybody, every possible variant chipset, a lot of compromises had to be made in the open source drivers.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

AK Dave wrote:I switched to the 2.6.30 Karmic kernel and the newer intel drivers on my Mini-9 netbook. Nice step forward. Took Planet Penguin Racer from 16-20fps to 26-30fps. Thats huge! However, the wl wifi module doesn't exist for the .30 so I dropped back to 2.6.28 to keep everything functional.

I think I'll give the older 2.4 drivers a shot, reaching back to Intrepid to use them with Jaunty. They're reported to work well for my hardware.

The problem most people are having with Jaunty's video support is that in order to support everybody, every possible variant chipset, a lot of compromises had to be made in the open source drivers.

Thank you AK Dave for the info. I did not read all the release notes but I have not had any issue with Jaunty. My Nvidia driver works fine so far. :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I also am suffering from the Intel problems. Full screen Flash with Fancast and Hulu is unusable. My main source of entertainment is watching movies on Fancast. Youtube videos will run in full screen but it takes a toll on Firefox, it nearly crashes it. I can use the fix Ubuntu gives in the release notes but it wipes out my monitors settings. This will make the second release I have passed up because of regressions.... I installed PCLinux 2009.1 on the machine I am watching movies on, everything works and the built in remastering feature and the rolling release concept have me in pretty good shape. I can watch my movies and if my 4 year old borks the system I can have it back to the way I had it in about 10 minutes. I customized all of the artwork so I do not loose the elegant look I am accustomed to.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9193 ... nshotg.jpg

This is not the ideal solution I was hoping for but since the new baby came I just have not had much time to spend on the computer. I would rather have the fast boot time that the Jaunty base has but a faster boot does not take the place of a working system and 3 mouse clicks to have a full backup, also all of the apps I use daily are always up to date. Maybe the 9.10 base will work for my hardware?

Edit: It is a big let down to participate in the development, report bugs and not even be able to use the operating system. If the release cycle had been just a little longer the Intel problems most likely would be resolved. Fedora, OpenSuse and Mandriva will not have this problem because of their release cycles. OpenSuse increased theirs to 8 months and Fedora is not afraid to introduce a newer kernel or drivers. Mandriva will wait for the fix before they release, they mentioned the problems with the video sub system and asked that people report the problems they were having. Mark Shuttleworth is talking about changing the way Ubuntu is released because of the various release cycles of the various packages that make up Ubuntu. If Ubuntu changes the way it deals with release cycles we would see big improvements in the base we use and hopefully a lot less regressions.

Here is a link to Mark's blog.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

ok... update for me.

My Acer laptop hated 9.04, but my desktop works ok (also intel). The only thing I can't fix now, is that it struggles with Flash in full screen mode. Otherwise, works fine. I'm hoping maybe a future update will fix this, as everything else is great - very fast and slick.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thanks Exploder for the link to Mark,s Blog. It was very informative. I like the idea of Ubuntu working closer with Debian, it just makes since. I also like the idea of more of the Free Software community trying to organize there releases to coincide to better control how the releases work together, i.e Ubuntu, gnome, X and so on. Which would help avoid what you are going through. The Idea of When you release a big change to have short release cycle at first then longer release period following the quick initial release, (i.e bug fix)for the long term support. Interesting stuff. I can't wait to see how all that plays out. :)

Oh and nice screenshot of the PC Linux OS. :)
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Weirdly enough, I just went from PCLinus OS Gnome to Jaunty. Shoulda stayed where I was. Oh well.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

badmotor wrote:My Acer laptop hated 9.04, but my desktop works ok (also intel). The only thing I can't fix now, is that it struggles with Flash in full screen mode. Otherwise, works fine. I'm hoping maybe a future update will fix this, as everything else is great - very fast and slick.
Did you try the Intel fixes I suggested, and linked, above?
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

AK Dave wrote:
badmotor wrote:My Acer laptop hated 9.04, but my desktop works ok (also intel). The only thing I can't fix now, is that it struggles with Flash in full screen mode. Otherwise, works fine. I'm hoping maybe a future update will fix this, as everything else is great - very fast and slick.
Did you try the Intel fixes I suggested, and linked, above?
The revert one doesn't work for my chipset, and I didn't try the second one as people are saying that kernel kills wireless.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

badmotor wrote:The revert one doesn't work for my chipset, and I didn't try the second one as people are saying that kernel kills wireless.
I don't believe you tried anything at all.

"People are saying that kernel kills wireless"? Yeah, right. I'm the only report that I'm aware of! I reported that MY wireless didn't work and that I didn't spend any time getting it to work, largely due to the fact that I needed to go downstairs to find an ethernet cable to plug into. By the time I got around to doing that, I was ready to back out of the changes and put things back to normal because I was doing this as an experiment and it does me no good to get halfway through a walkthrough, declare success, and NOT test the instructions for backing out of the changes. I did so, demonstrating that not only does the 2.6.30-rc2 kernel install and graphics are improved, but that the change is 100% reversable!

At no time did I report "that kernel kills wireless". In fact at this point I've researched my problem and what I need to do is either get hold of linux-restricted-modules for the 2.6.30-rc2 kernel or extract the wl module myself and recompile it under the 2.6.30-rc2 kernel. The problem is that the module that *I* need to make *MY* wifi work is a restricted module, which also means that the source is likely closed/unavailable and I'm S.O.L. on this.

You reported previously you have intel 965 chipset graphics. The reports on the ubuntuforums thread are of substantial graphics animation speed improvements with their changes. Furthermore, you reported your wifi uses the AR242x chipset, so we can expect you're using ndiswrapper for wifi. Which is NOT a restricted module, so you should have ZERO problems with wifi under 2.6.30-rc2. In fact, if I were prepared ahead of time with the proper Windows driver for my wireless chipset, I could use ndiswrapper as well.

There is even a PPA for installing the latest intel drivers direct:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-sw ... x-updates/

At the very LEAST we can be certain that you're suffering the mtrr issue and need to tweak your /proc/mtrr settings. Thats steps 4&5 of the 2nd how-to that I linked to. At least go there and try that.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

OK - I'll try that when I get the chance.

When I said that people reported that kernel kills their wireless, I meant that I had seen 2 or 3 reports of that on the Ubuntu forums - I didn't mean you. People have tried reverting with my chipset and all reports in the list said it didn't work.
Just to clarify, I have been using Linux for about 2 years but would myself beginner to intermediate user, but I hesitate to play with kernels and such. I'm not afraid to try advice and use the terminal, but there comes a point where it's getting a bit above my head.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Here is a screenshot of 9.04 Final. :) I will start my next topic when Mint 7 RC comes out. Cant' Wait!! :D
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Ooooh! Shiny!

The blue Ubuntu icon looks like Xubuntu/Xfce but the panel looks Gnome, so I think thats just part of your icon set.
Nicely done, plus AWN (the dock) w/ Compiz, Screenlets (the clock) and a little Conky on the side.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

That is quite a beautiful desktop!

Care to share your theme, icon set and wallpaper links?
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

dlkreations wrote:That is quite a beautiful desktop!

Care to share your theme, icon set and wallpaper links?
Thank you.
Theme Link: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=103201
Icon Set Link: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=103490
Wallpaper Link: http://dannywallpaper.blogspot.com/2008 ... paper.html

For the Icon Link copy and paste the whole line. The link would not save correctly in my response.

There you go. :)
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

AK Dave wrote:Ooooh! Shiny!

The blue Ubuntu icon looks like Xubuntu/Xfce but the panel looks Gnome, so I think thats just part of your icon set.
Nicely done, plus AWN (the dock) w/ Compiz, Screenlets (the clock) and a little Conky on the side.
Well the Ubuntu Icon is part of the GTK Theme and the little conky thing is actually a screenlet. But thanks for the comment. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”