Konqueror is prefixing gg: to my searches

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
griffeth

Konqueror is prefixing gg: to my searches

Post by griffeth »

Hello,

I am running Linux Mint 6 KDE, and am very happy with it. However, there is one problem. I must have caused it myself, as it does not appear in other user accounts.

In Konqueror, I somehow messed up the search function. If I type something into the address bar (that isn't a URL) then it will search google for it. However, if I type something into the search bar, beside the address bar, it will search google for it, but prefix gg: to it.

For example, if I want to find "hello," it should search google for "hello." But instead, it searches for "gg:hello."

It's not that big a problem, I can just use the address bar instead, but I would like to fix this. I've tried editing the search engines, deleting ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/searchproviders, ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror, and ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc, but konqueror insists on prefixing gg: to everything.

What other files/folders should I delete, or what else should I do?

Thank you for taking time to read this,
Griffeth
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Konqueror is prefixing gg: to my searches

Post by nick »

HI

Maybe? this will help.

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-a ... wsing.html

If enabled, Konqueror's Web Shortcuts feature lets you submit a query directly to a search engine or similar web site without having to visit the site first.
For example, entering gg:konqueror into the Location Bar and pressing Enter will ask Google™ to search for items related to Konqueror.
To see what Web Shortcuts are available, and perhaps add your own, use Settings->Configure Konqueror... to open the Settings dialog box and click on the Web Shortcuts icon.

Nick
griffeth

Post by griffeth »

Thanks, but that doesn't help me. I have Web Shortcuts enabled, but I can't understand why it actually searches Google for "gg:my search" instead of just "my search."
dafi

Post by dafi »

Clock on the little arrow at the google-sign in the searchbox.
Choose something like "Select Searchengines"
Search for "google" in the following list and click edit.
the URL in Linux Mint 5 is:

Code: Select all

http://www.google.de/search?q=\{@}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Perhaps you could try this one?? (But safe your old one before changing it)
griffeth

Post by griffeth »

Thanks, but that didn't make a difference.

I discovered something else: no matter which search engine I select, it will always search Google, and prefix the search engine's letters.

For example, if I try to search Wikipedia for "Hello," instead of taking me to the Wikipedia page for Hello, it searches Google for "wp:hello."
dafi

Post by dafi »

At the bottom of the "enable web shortcuts" window is a DropDownfield.
You could set this to "colon" or to "space" (or something like that)
If I set this to space I get the same behaviour. Perhaps your setting is "space" but you should set it to colon?
Try "gg hello"
if this works, then you should change your settings...
griffeth

Post by griffeth »

That cleared up the problem. I've always preferred using space, the way Opera does, but this is fine too. Thank you.

Return to “Software & Applications”