Ubuntu 9.04 looks nice

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BAD

Ubuntu 9.04 looks nice

Post by BAD »

I just checked out Ubuntu 9.04 and I did not find any problems unlike 8.04. As long as no one goes on vacation the next Mint should be great.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 looks nice

Post by Husse »

I have not tested but I tend to agree to an extent from what I've heard - BUT support for Intel graphics is a disaster in Jaunty
icefire

Post by icefire »

Could not agree more. Jaunty intel graphics is a total disaster. Any Idea when Mint 7 will be available? I do like the volume control in Jaunty.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mint will have the exact same volume control. There is also a bug with the volume control that mutes the sound at random. I submitted the bug report! I have Intel graphics too. Here is the bug report for that. I submitted that one too!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/346289

Sorry I don't have a link for the volume control bug, if I kept all of the bug reports in my e-mail my inbox would be full.
Last edited by exploder on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Great! :evil: :cry: :?
7 of my 11 computer's got intel graphics... :x
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You will not be very happy with Jaunty.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

So many good things about Jaunty, yet one major problem...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

So many good things about Jaunty, yet one major problem...
My thoughts exactly! Something else that's really funny is that the new notifications system doesn't work! You have Debian and the Gnome developers to thank for what does work well!
BAD

Post by BAD »

That is a shame about Intel video. Personally I do not buy Intel products. Intel only cares about quarterly sales. Their policy used to be release 2 processor speed each quarter like 500 533 then 545 550 then 566 575 then Christmas sales 600 633 and now they keep just ahead of AMD.

There may be a few issues but there are always thing that are not perfect in a new Ubuntu release but this one is nice.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

exploder wrote:
I guess I'll have to stay with Elyssa for a while longer, or jump off the ubuntu based distros all together... :?:
CREA DIEM!

Husse

Post by Husse »

I have suggested that we should alleviate the Intel Video problem as far as possible, but it can't be fixed completely
Maybe Mint should be Debian based :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Husse wrote:I have suggested that we should alleviate the Intel Video problem as far as possible, but it can't be fixed completely
Maybe Mint should be Debian based :)
That would indeed be better. :)
I've been trying out sidux for a while, it's really smoking.
And the new Zenwalk 6(Slackware based) is really great to, maybe it IS time for me to start distrohopping again... :?
CREA DIEM!

kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I am posting this from my eeePC 1000HE running Jaunty Netbook Remix. It has Intel graphics and everything else Intel in it's guts with no problems so far. I know this is not a full blown machine but can you be more specific about the problems with Intel graphics chips?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You find it in ther release notes
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904
specifically
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/release ... cs%20cards
Strangely the release notes are hard to find
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

well, while intel graphics might have suffered a regression, the open-source ati driver is a welcome upgrade: hot-plugging multiple monitors of different resolutions is now trivially easy, unlike with the proprietary one in intrepid/felicia.

I'd prefer for mint to stick with an ubuntu base. While this does have it's problems, I want the latest and greatest software available as soon as possible, and debian just doesn't move that fast (e.g. when would it get installer ext4 support). I'm starting to think that even ubuntu is moving too slowly with the latest software (openoffice 3 was at release candidate for intrepid's release, so why not use it) I'll have to look into rolling releases, they sound interesting. The downside I can think of immediately is my tendency to bloat my system over time with software I rarely use, so I welcome the fresh and responsive new installs every 6 months.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

emorrp1 wrote:well, while intel graphics might have suffered a regression, the open-source ati driver is a welcome upgrade: hot-plugging multiple monitors of different resolutions is now trivially easy, unlike with the proprietary one in intrepid/felicia.

I'd prefer for mint to stick with an ubuntu base. While this does have it's problems, I want the latest and greatest software available as soon as possible, and debian just doesn't move that fast (e.g. when would it get installer ext4 support). I'm starting to think that even ubuntu is moving too slowly with the latest software (openoffice 3 was at release candidate for intrepid's release, so why not use it) I'll have to look into rolling releases, they sound interesting. The downside I can think of immediately is my tendency to bloat my system over time with software I rarely use, so I welcome the fresh and responsive new installs every 6 months.
Sounds like you need to check out sidux!
CREA DIEM!

icefire

Post by icefire »

Are you suggesting that sidux is comparable to Mint? To be clear, I installed 9.04 in place of Mint 6. Should I reinstall 6 or wait until Mint 7. Any idea when 7 may be available? :!:
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by idiotkiwi »

I tried out the new Ubuntu last night after not being able to resolve the intel graphics problem with Felicia
(tried all the suggested work rounds). Both live Cd and install worked faultlessly, so imo a welcom improvement.

Roll on Mint 7

Regards
Husse

Post by Husse »

intel graphics problem with Felicia
Yes the regression started with Intrepid and has been partly solved and partly made worse in Jaunty
kaixi

Post by kaixi »

exploder wrote:
The Ubuntu dev team is working hard to ready an update that will fix all these known issues, so I'm not particularly worried about it.

As for whether Linux Mint should be based on Debian, I STRONGLY DISAGREE. Ubuntu is known to be the best supported Linux Distro out there in terms of hardware, documentation, vendor support, etc. so keeping the binary compatibility between Linux Mint and Ubuntu is crucial. Sure Ubuntu is not as bug-free as Debian but that's the only thing Debian does better than Ubuntu. I mean, if we really want Linux Mint to be a user friendly distro, we should stick with Ubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux”