Rebuilding GRUB

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tak178

Rebuilding GRUB

Post by Tak178 »

Hey guys,

Silly me, but I thought I would try to play around with Ubuntu 9.04. Consequently, I got it to run, but still can't configure drivers to work properly. As such, Ubuntu rewrote my MBR, and so it is using the GRUB prefs from the Ubuntu partition. How do I reassert Mints right over the MBR?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fwc

Re: Rebuilding GRUB

Post by fwc »

Were you using the Ubuntu boot CD? Whatever you did while on that CD, you could probably do with the Mint CD and get similar results.
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I think the original poster was talking about an install vs a LiveCD.

It's really quite simple to restore your Mint menu.lst.

1. You need to know what the partition is that Mint resides on (sda2,3, 4 or whatever).
2. Boot to any Linux (even Ubuntu).
3. Initiate the terminal mode.
4. $sudo grub.
5. Assuming your Mint is on sda4 and your mbr is on hd0 : grub > root (hd0,3)
6. grub > setup (hd0)
7. Exit and re-boot.

DataMan
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

One additional thing I forgot to mention in my post. By restoring your Mint menu.lst , you will probably loose visability to the Ubuntu ops. If you want to continue to access this ops, you will need to modify your Mint menu.lst to include the Ubuntu ops.

DataMan
Tak178

Post by Tak178 »

Thank you, everyone!

Since I will installing Linux Mint when it arrives, I am probably going to wait and let the new version rebuild the MBR from the install CD.

I appreciate your info, and I will keep it in case I need it in the future.

Cheers,
tak178
Shaddix

Post by Shaddix »

from my experience, messing around with GRUB can be very tricky, especially if you don't know what you are doing it can cause little disasters
waiting for the new release may not be the most efficient way to solve the problem, but it will certainly be the safest and cleanest way to handle the problem
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi ckeep, and welcome. The directions DataMan gave above are good, and they will work from any linux, live or otherwise, so feel free to use puppy.

If, however you get stuck at step 1 of his directions, skip over it and do the following after step 4:

Code: Select all

find /boot/grub/stage1
This will give you the code to use in step 5 (e.g. (hd0,3))

Return to “Software & Applications”