Error 15: File not found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

Error 15: File not found

Post by Verlager »

I just installed LM 6.0 64-bit and I rebooted and now get this error message: Error 15: File not found . As a workaround, I can press ESC while booting to get to a boot select menu, and there select the appropriate hard drive and it boots fine, after some hesitation. Note that: I have 2 TB sata HDs and one 300 MB sata (sda1) system HD in this box. Gosh I hope this is fixable! Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Error 15: File not found

Post by emorrp1 »

sounds like grub is not installed properly: run in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo grub
then at the "grub> " prompt, type

find /boot/grub/stage1
which should give a list of bootable partitions, like so:

(hd0,1)
 (hd0,4)
 (hd0,8)
If you only have Mint installed, then it'll only list one, so use that one in the following command (e.g. the first one):

root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
quit
Hope this helps, let me know if you need more help, especially if this doesn't work
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Verlager »

Nope, didn't work. But after Error 15: File not found Press any key, I see a screen with bright blue letters (and dim gray ones) with duplicate entries.

A little background: I bought some fancy Corsair ram from TigerDirect that apparently required a high performance or "gaming board." I also used a high end 10k Velociraptor 300 HD in the system (nForce 750i SLI 123-YW-W175).

I'm going to replace the sata cables this week to see if that's the problem. Maybe one or two of them is a Sata 150-only when it should be a sata 300 cable.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Ok, I suspect it's having trouble finding a specific kernel version. There's a little trick you can use in mint to always load the most recent kernel, add this to the bottom of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (needs sudo):

title    Mint Latest
root    (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd   /initrd.img
for the root options, copy the info from an existing entry in the "AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST". As a quick check, the number in kernel line should (almost certainly) be 1 more than the final number in the root line. Also the letter should correspond to the first number with a=0, b=1 etc.

Reboot, and select the new "Mint Latest" option in the boot menu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”