Dell Latitude D600 wifi help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dell Latitude D600 wifi help

Post by Acid_1 »

I don't recall if the Mint repositories blocks non-free software. If it does, use

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and edit the lines that have
deb http:// ----etc. here
by removing the ## in front of them.
You can leave the ones that have 'deb-src', unless you are interested in the source. I just block them because source repositories just means more time for apt-get to parse. Anyhow, after that, run:

sudo apt-get update
and then run mintWifi. That should detect it now, so install and enjoy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

It should look something like this:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty universe
of course it'll say Mint, etc. However, you'll note that there is no ## in front of them. If that doesn't work, try restarting. Yes, I know, Windows advice, but sometimes it just works, then do apt-get update.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

If you've got no internet the advice so far won't work. Open up a terminal and enter the following commands:

lspci

lsusb
Copy and paste (highlight and center click instead of ctrlc/ctrlv) the results into a text file so you can transfer them to a computer with an internet connection and post the results here.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

You were plugged into a cat5 cable when you did the 'sudo apt-get update' right?
Husse

Post by Husse »

My standard answer for a post like your first post is
You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (to avoid misunderstanding - the first character is a minor L and you copy by marking with the mouse and then right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Also tell us if this is using mint4win or not, quite important
--------
Forget about the changes to sources.list above - change it to the default - not part of the solution
Now we've already got lscpi and lsusb and there I see that you have a bcm 4306
The Broadcom chips are a pain but it has been much easier to use them.
There are two options and one or both should work
Connect with a wired connection and open Hardware drivers in the menu - you should see an option for bcm4306 (or similar - should say something with Broadcom, bcm and/or 4306) - activate it and soon your wifi works
If you don't see the option or it don't work for you follow this how to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... y_No-Fluff
It works for Intrepid/Felicia even if it says Feisty in the title and ndiswrapper (Windows wireless drivers) is already installed
So you don't do this
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
mkdir ~/bcm43xx; cd ~/bcm43xx
This is a long post and it was a while since I followed it to install my own 4312 so I may have missed some difficulty
Don't hesitate to ask for more help, but I really think the Hardware drivers should do it
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm curious - which solution helped you get wireless?

Return to “Beginner Questions”