Wicd or Network manager.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Wicd or network manager

Wicd, network admin, Chestnut dialer, and gprsec
63%
Network Manager, and Chestnut dialer.
38%

Total votes: 32

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Wicd or Network manager.

Post by merlwiz79 »

Not sure how well Network Manager works this time around.
Wicd Wireless and Wired.
Chestnut-dialer modems and mobile phone's modems.
Gprsec mobile phones.
Network Admin wireless, wired, and modems.

Network manager:
Has wireless, wired, modems and mobile phone's modems.
Has other plugins for vpn, pptp, and openvpn.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Wicd or Network manager.

Post by emorrp1 »

Note that the only reason I voted network manager, is I know it works with all my networks, and I haven't looked into wicd yet.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Wicd rocks! :D
alexxx24887

Post by alexxx24887 »

NM, cause wicd works not so flawless.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I'm with Fedora Refugee. I've used both and vastly prefer wicd. I especially like the fact that it lets me see the MAC address or a router before I connect to it.

Where I'm located we have had problems with people using range expanders and repeaters to boost signals without permission. This causes trouble when regular network members tie to their signals because the network manager they use just sees it as the strongest signal. When these intruders turn off their equipment several users can be dumped off the internet without warning.

This can be bad if they were doing something like placing a bid on eBay or taking a college exam online. With wicd, you always know what you are tying to.
alfavictory
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfavictory »

The reason why I vote for Network Manager that I tried both on my AAO (Acer Aspire One) and Network Manager works from the box with no problem at all.
For Wicd in Gloria XFCE I change kernel from Jaunty to make Wicd works but Cardreaders don't work now and everage speed gets low
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Although the majority of votes went to Wicd, it seems like machines like netbooks where these lighter editions are more likely to be installed are the ones that need Network Manager more. So switching to the heavier manager might be the better option for the target audience.

I am talking mostly about the Fluxbox CE since someone brought the same issue up for netbooks. So I just wanted to see if anyone else on the XFCE CE side of things has had better success with Wicd than Network Manager on a netbook.
spet

Post by spet »

Voted NetworkManager because my university require a VPN connection to use the wireless. If only Wicd had support for vpnc...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

spet wrote:Voted NetworkManager because my university require a VPN connection to use the wireless. If only Wicd had support for vpnc...
Have you gone to the forums to ask about this?
They may start working on it if they have testers.
spet

Post by spet »

merlwiz79 wrote:
spet wrote:Voted NetworkManager because my university require a VPN connection to use the wireless. If only Wicd had support for vpnc...
Have you gone to the forums to ask about this?
They may start working on it if they have testers.
I've asked and gotten a reply: This couldn't make it for the 1.6 release but work will start on VPN support feature in the next release. According to dano:
dano wrote:It's also going to be a complete rewrite, so it'll be a while before it's ready.
I won't hold my breath, but I will stick with NetworkManager :)

The feature request thread can be found here

Return to “Xfce”