LiveCD Installation Problems With Low-End PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: LiveCD Installation Problems With Low-End PC

Post by proxima_centauri »

The Linux Mint XFCE CE or the Linux Mint Fluxbox CE are more likely to work with that kind of hardware.
I ran Linux Mint 5 on 256MB before, but with a P4 :P.

EDIT: But you may be better yet using distro's tailored for old PC's like DamnSmallLinux(DSL) or Puppy Linux
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
khsbenny

Post by khsbenny »

As far as I know I dont think Linux mint will run on it!

With my very basic Linux knowladge I know that there is something out there suitale but cant think what.

Try Googe it?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Welcome to the forum, FiveAlive.

I have gotten Mint to install and run on machines with a slightly slower processor than yours. I found out that the trick when having only 256 MB of RAM was to create partitions and add a /swap file in advance.

You can use a gParted CD, but I have been using a Linux Mint 5 Xfce Live CD. Xfce booted up better than the GNOME one. I used the partition editor to make my partitions, shut down the computer, rebooted with the GNOME CD, and the installation proceeded without any problems.

Yes, I could have used the Xfce desktop, but I like the GNOME one better. Those machines with 256 MB of RAM are used for Thunderbird, Firefox, and Rhythmbox. For those purposes, everything works fine. Perhaps it will work for you, as well. Good luck.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Hi, Linux Mint Fluxbox CE should install fine on that machine. The Fluxbox Live CD has some special tweaks specifically to allow installation on low end machines. The minimum RAM requirement is 128MB... below that and there is not enough RAM to run the installer... so you should be safe.

Puppy is a great distro too. But Mint Fluxbox has the advantages... and disadvantages of Ubuntu and Mint... Use whatever works for you :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”