xfce to gnome

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Quake3DeathGod

xfce to gnome

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

Ok, I have a friend who is running xfce as she did not have very much ram at the time she installed. Now she has upgraded to the point she wants to run gnome. I've ran several test under virtual box, and cant seem to get it to use gnome. Any way I can do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: xfce to gnome

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Have you tried installing mint-meta-gnome from Package manager? This package includes all required files to install gnome in any Mint version.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Actually, I just installed Mint XFCE CE in Virtualbox to attempt this - to give you a straight answer.
mint-meta-gnome as far as i can tell only install certain softwares, not the whole gnome package. I ran into conflictions trying to install it, finally did. Now I'm running into more conflictions trying to install gnome. I'll report back when I have a more definitive answer, right now I wouldn't install mint-meta-gnome unless you know what you are doing.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Back when I was waiting for Mint 6 Xfce I installed Mint Gnome and installed Xfce over it. I ran into all kinds of crazy conflicts. I realize they are both GTK and I never had a problem installing and using Xfce in the main Fedora Gnome versions, but Mint 6 Gnome really did not like Xfce. Maybe you are feeling the same in reverse? It might be better to consider a clean install and setting up a data partition so you wont have to worry about clean installs from now on.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Why would anyone want to go from Xfce to Gnome??? :?: :shock:
It's like going from a Ferrari to a Skoda! :lol:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Quake3DeathGod

Post by Quake3DeathGod »

well, I had just tried the gnome package. It ran into some conflicts. I'll try what your saying, because in doing so, it stopped booting. I'll do a quick re-install and see what it will do....

Return to “Xfce”