help request: mouse poll rate change?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
H0PE

help request: mouse poll rate change?

Post by H0PE »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to linux, and setting up my installation in order to utilize my gamer hardware devices. I found a nice detailed page how to change mouse polling rate (I got a microsoft habu, that could push out 1000Hrz instead of 125hz you know).

The details are here about how to change the mouse polling intervalls
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiw ... USBPolling

My only problem is that I1m not sure which file should I modify. Also I was trying to modify the file /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll (which is empty surprisingly so maybe thats not even the file I need) but I think I got access denied it says that error happened while trying to modify the file.

I was trying to use the command
sudo pico /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll

So I would like to ask two things:
1.) based on the information where to put the modification in linuxmint usbhid please?
2.) how could I modify such system files, seems "root"/sudo didnt give me enough permissions or something.

Waiting for your replies,
H0PE
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: help request: mouse poll rate change?

Post by Husse »

/sys and even more /proc are two folders to really avoid. They are a bit special and may show some strange behaviour
(like when you open a file you see in the folder you may be told there is no such file if you use a GUI editor or that you can't delete files and more ...) Don't play around here unless you are a real "super geek" :)
This is why you did not have enough permissions
You should also take some time to check how old an article is - this is talking about kernel 2.6.12 and then we are back in June 2005 and at the bottom of the page you find "Last modified: 16.02.06 by GlaDiaC"
I don't use tips that old!
You have to go for /etc/modprobe.d/options and add the settings in a line there
Here's some interesting info on using that file (the example is for a webcam)
In order to see what options are available just type:

modinfo MODULE

In the case of my webcam, this showed me about 25 options ranging from control of the LED to the autogain and backlighting controls and so forth. Very useful to say the least.

As root, edit the file “/etc/modprobe.d/options” and add a line like this:

options MODULE OPT1=x OPT2=x

where MODULE is the module name, and OPT1, OPT2 and so on, are the names of the options you got when running modinfo. So a real world example would be like “options ov51x_jpeg led=1 autogain=0 backlight=1″
This of course means that you have to know the name of the module, and for my USB mouse it is psmouse
Among the parameters (shown as parm: ) is rate (Report rate, in reports per second. (uint) ) but not poll
So I'd guess that you want to add something like

Code: Select all

options psmouse rate=1000
And sorry i don't know how to make it "on the fly"
H0PE

Post by H0PE »

Many thanks for the answers Husse. Think you're right about the outdated information I guess I was excited that I found something at all. :)

I would try to add the line you mentioned about the mouse. Shouldn't I check for my device or something? you mentioned yours is 'psmouse', you think that line would work for me? did you check that psmouse somewhere somehow? Some device id or name or something?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - I did not mention how I found out the mouse driver (module) because I'm convinced you have the same

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep -i mouse
The -i is probably not needed but I always use it (means case insensitive)
In the unlikely even that you don't fine anything you have to run lsmod and look through it, but it is a very long list
(in the terminal)
H0PE

Post by H0PE »

Great, I think it was working, though I'm not able to double check the speed, since I don't know any linux refresh rate check programs. Do you away any Husse?
Husse

Post by Husse »

nope :)

Return to “Hardware Support”