Grub multiboot error...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Grub multiboot error...

Post by Fred »

hypertecz28,

Can you still boot into Mint? If not, go to the url below and download and burn the latest stable release of SuperGrub live cd iso.

http://download.linux-live-cd.org/Super ... sgd/cdrom/

You can use this to boot into your Mint or Windows install. Do not try to fix anything with SuperGrub at this point. Just use it to boot into Mint. In the Mint menu you will find a program called "gparted." It is a partitioning program. Open it and post screen shots of both of your drives. That will get us started on the right track.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

hypertecz28,

ok... It is looking good so far. Now, type /boot/grub/menu.lst in the url window of your browser and post what pops up.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

hypertecz28,

I am assuming you are using the Gnome desktop. If not tell me what you are using. Open a terminal and type:

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

This will open your menu.lst file for editing. Toward the bottom of the file you will see something that looks similar to what I have below. Change the later part so your Windows boot stanza looks like what I have posted instead of what you have. Save and close the file. Now reboot and see if you see your Windows boot stanza in the menu and tell me what happens when you boot Windows. Hopefully it will boot into Windows.

Fred

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdb1

title Windows 7
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
Fred

Post by Fred »

hypertecz28,

I think from here on you need to be talking to someone that knows Vista/Windows 7 better than I do.

Grub should now be pointing to the right partition, not sure where to go from here with Windows 7.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

hypertecz28,

You may want to look at the thread referenced below. altair4 provided some very good information that might help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25295

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”