computer will not boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lynne

computer will not boot

Post by lynne »

Hi
Could someone please help me
I was using the computer last night no problem
logged out no problem
try to start it this morning and it will not start
I run a live cd and when I try to mount it i get

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

this computer has all my work home and everything i own on it

I am very worried
please please help
lynne
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: computer will not boot

Post by Fred »

lynne,

Tell us a little more. What exactly happens when you push the start button on the computer? Do you see the normal post messages, or whatever you usually see before the Mint menu appears? Does the menu appear? What exactly happens from then on?

Also, when you power up with the Mint live cd in the drive, what do you see? Go through the process as you did above.

Fred
lynne

Post by lynne »

OK here goes

normal splash screen appears
progress bar starts back and forth
screen goes blank
the this appears

before the prompt it has kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot ...
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /roor failes: Invalid argument
mount: mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failes: no such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failes: no such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc on /root/proc failes: no such file or direcory
Target filesystem doesent have /sbin/init
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-iubuntu6) build-in shell ) (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands

(inittramfs)

and then confusion in me head
lynne
Fred

Post by Fred »

lynne,

This doesn't sound good. You don't have more than one drive connected do you? What do you get when you try to boot the Live CD? Be sure the BIOS is set to boot the CD drive first.

Fred
lynne

Post by lynne »

Hi Fred
It is the only drive
When I boot from a live cd and try and mount the drive I get the message as in the first post

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

do you think I could run partician editor and run the check option it will allow me to get my info off the drive

lynne
Fred

Post by Fred »

lynne,

It sounds like a hardware issue on the motherboard. I doubt that it is a bad hard drive. A bad hard drive normally doesn't fail all at one time and doesn't disable the ability to boot from a CD/DVD.

Try to boot any bootable CD/DVD that you have. See if you can get anything to boot. Sorry but I don't expect you to have much luck with booting anything.

The silver lining is the hard drive. Don't let some jack leg tell you it is bad without actually installing the drive in another machine and attempting to recover the data with a Live CD. I would almost be willing to bet you the drive is still good, you just can't access it with that machine now.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”