firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluechillzz

firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

Post by bluechillzz »

everytime i try to watch a youtube video this green box appears where the video should be, what's the problem? i have almost all of the plug-ins installed the only one missing is the vlc plug-in because i can't find it. it's funny because back when i had ubuntu i had tis problem with opera, only the box was grey instead of green. i thought mint came with everything you needed to play videos.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
psych1610

Re: firefox shows a green box instead of my youtube videos, why?

Post by psych1610 »

Hey, I don't know if you've got this all figured out and I realize you said you have all the plugins in and such, but there are two plugins available for flash near as I can tell. One works pretty shitty for me and the other works perfect. Try this maybe it works, if not no real harm done. Just take note of what was installed before.
shane wrote:first of all, purge all flash packages... (completely remove in spynaptic) then purge nspluginwrapper...

then reinstall flash.

or from command line the commands to run are...

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound adobe-flashplugin nspluginwrapper
then

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
In particular nspluginwrapper was using up to 40% of my CPU and X was taking the other 60% when playing a flash video. With nsplugin out of the picture everything is stable.
bluechillzz

Post by bluechillzz »

alright, the regular window shows now but the videos still don't play. they just buffer and then sit there with a blank screen
bluechillzz

Post by bluechillzz »

so nobody knows?

Return to “Beginner Questions”