searching for help isn't all it's cracked up to be

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

searching for help isn't all it's cracked up to be

Post by bigbearomaha »

I saw the very nice sticky you added scorp. kudos on a well planned and well worded post.

One thing I like to bring attention to on any Linux distro forum I am on is how easy it is to search for help and how hard it can be to search for help.

The number one problem I have obeserved with "newbies" trying to search for help, is that they don't know what to search for, or that there is sometimes thirty combinations of words or phrases to turn up results on one topic. Many of which only show up in a specifically worded search.

Once you have been muddling around Linux a bit, you get the feel for searches through trial and error.

Right off the top though, I think it behooves all of us with just a moment or two of more experience to let it slide and answer very nicely the question at hand, perhaps pointing out for more information they could also do a search for xxxx or xxxx or yyyy, etc.

I mentioned in my review the helpful tone of the typical responses to help in your forums, so I don't think there's much to change for you all, but as a reminder for someone who might start to help out more, or someone who is frustrated by answering the same question a hundred times this week.

It may be the hundredth time you have answered it, but it is only the first time that person has asked it.

Helping solve linux problems really does take "customer service skills" and a lot of patience. Sometimes, we may have the knowledge to answer a question, but not the skill. ( I admit to this one. I get frustrated easily, and being an honest person, I tend to refrain from helping or answering questions unless I see that no one is answering the poor schmucks question, then I grit my teeth and remember to be the nice guy just this once. LOL)

Anyway, keep up the good work and If I can be of assistance in any way ( even if it means telling me to pipe down, I'm your man. :wink:

Big Bear
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

And have you managed to solve http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2121
It's still unanswered - and frankly I haven't got a clue :)
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

Not yet, it's on a test system. I haven't gotten back to it yet, and (big sheepish grin) I kinda forgot I posted that.

so just now saw clem's responses.

:oops:
Big Bear

:wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”